HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 38 »

Re: Toothy Critter Success Thread
From Gettysburg
TD55,
Enjoyed your article in MAFF!

For folks interested in learning about the basics of FFing for toothies, check out the current issue (Sept) of the Mid Atlantic Fly fishing Guide for some tips.

Posted on: 2013/8/30 9:26

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/9/21 21:02

From Butler
Nice Pure Bred! Love the color and pattern in the tail.. Good looking musky

Posted on: 2013/9/21 23:24

Just a baby... but the first I've actually landed. I've had a few hookups, but I just don't get out often enough (only the 4th time all year).

I'm fairly sure the next one will be bigger. I've seen some real monsters and I can't wait to land one of the big ones...

Posted on: 2013/9/22 13:14

From Enola, PA
Well I am 0 for 2 (years) now, broke my rod last time out and getting wrist surgery Thursday so I am done until next spring. Guess I have a good 5 months or so to figure something out.

Planned changes for next year include either a jon boat or a kayak I can stand in. Casting while sitting in the kayak was rough. Also will be fiddling with line leader combos to help improve my casting as soon as my wrist is healed.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 13:58

uhh...nevermind

From "THE VILLE"
Leaders keep it simple. I go a strait piece of 40 pound floro about 40 inches worth and then the 80 pound bite gaurd. All togther about 4 feet maybe 4.5 feet Long.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 19:38
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Enola, PA
I have tried a few different combos of fluorocarbon, braid and wire.

do you use any type of shock tippet? at 40lb and 80lbs arent you risking your line if you get snagged and cant get the fly back?

Posted on: 2013/9/25 7:34

uhh...nevermind

@Crotalus - my rod broke also (10 wt echo) about an hour after I landed this musky. I was pissed because I saw two mid-40s fish the week before with my wife. I kept fishing but it was hard to cast more than 40-50 feet. Talk about a broomstick -- try casting with a 10 weight that is missing the whole top section.

I've been giving serious thought to a better rod, meaning something that is in fewer pieces. I gave up on four-piece rods for all other streamer fishing (trout and smallmouth). A two-piece rod is a far superior instrument if you want to throw big flies. It's getting hard to find 2-piece rods but they are usually a steal and they out-perform the 4-piece rods by a really wide margin. I don't know how people tolerate rods that come apart a handful of times during a day of fishing.

Even better: G Loomis has one piece rods in the NRX line and the crosscurrent line. This would be my ideal streamer rod. I'd have to leave it in the Kayak to transport it, but in the long run I think this would be better. I prefer to be inconvenienced when I'm not on the water, as opposed to while I'm fishing.

For the lines I use 18"-24" of 80-LB seaguar fluorocarbon as a shock tippet and 25 lb. leader that is 3-4" long. You definitely need to have a break point to save your fly line.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 8:13

From Enola, PA
I blame myself for my rod breaking, I had line tangled around the end and was trying to get it untangled while sitting in a kayak. I had a decent bend in the end section and when I reached to work the line over the very end the top guide and last inch of rod snapped off in my hand. Stupid move on my part, I cant fault Echo for that one.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 10:39

uhh...nevermind

From "THE VILLE"
Midnight there are specific rods made now for pike and musky and big Predatory fish. And everyone I've got my hands on are great rods. Beulah, sage, redington, Greys and even echo. And there all 4 piece. If ya wax your ferrules and even electrical tape em you don't have to worry. All tens are not created equil I know I've own a couple of em. I don't think that there's a two piece and a handful of 1 piece rods ( hardy sinytrex) that are in the ball park performance wise. When you start talking 400 + grn lines and 12 inches of fly.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 14:40
same.”

From "THE VILLE"
Crotalus I use a break point on my type 7 setup. On my type 3 or intermediate (topwater) I almost never do. I have had pop a couple nail knots because of being snagged. If you don't coat your nail knot that's were it comes apart or were 1 of the loop knots are. I'm just trying to prefect everything less knots less chances of Mr Murphy rearing his ugly head. On a figure 8 take with a ft of line out the tip top ya want a smooth transition for leader to fly line.

If ya boat fish lakes no need for a break point.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 16:21
same.”

From Clearfield
a musky on the fly is impressive but until one gets pulled in by a fly fisherman in a jetta I guess the toyota corolla on Moldy Chum will always be one up

Posted on: 2013/9/28 13:04

From Butler
Well...I have to say unfortunately, this isn't going to be about how awesome my musky afternoon was today....it was rough..no follows..only saw one musky and he wasn't eating, he was a low to mid 30's..the reason why I am posting this is because I was working a log jam on a bridge piling in the middle of the stream. and I am two hand stripping a black and purple double beuford..out from underneath the log a smallie comes and absolutely crushes my fly...keep in mind this smallmouth just hammered and i mean hammered AN 11in FLY!!! It was epic and my biggest smallmouth this year and on the fly...she stole the day

Posted on: 2013/10/5 21:51

From Mount Joy, PA
And that would be called an 'incidental catch'!

Posted on: 2013/10/6 21:50

I caught a 10 in bass on one of my musky flies. The fly was bigger than the bass. I could barely even feel the strike, my fly just started swimming around funny.

When we fish for musky, we could probably use 30 inch flies. There is no doubt in my mind that they would try to eat them.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 10:00

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 38 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com