Surfcasting for Stripers

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Been invited to choose a weekend and try this out (with some golf mixed in) in Montauk and I'm trying to make it work. Never did this b4 and thought I would start with some questions to u gents ...

1) Can/Should I use a fly rod?

2) Is it sight fishing or just chucking into areas that may hold fish?

Thanks in advance

No doubt, stripers are becoming one of my favorite species to chase with flies. I'll add that I'm jealous you have the opportunity to fish Montauk. If you've got space, DEFINITELY bring a rod with you.

But we are approaching prime time for fall fishing, and from what I've heard/read (never actually been there), that place can be a war zone when the fish are in close. Crowded and not the place to be whipping a fly rod around.

If you go, I would plan on doing some walking and finding some open space. Or even better, hire a guide if you have the time/money. It's on my bucket list for sure.

Bring anchovy flies.

That 9wt should serve you well fishing from the NJ beaches for stripers.

Check this out. Schoolee Fred has a PAFF Salt jam in mid November.
It will be a great place to meet some of the guys and cast your line into the surf.

Surfcasting for Strippers. Heh, there's a joke in there somewhere.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Been invited to choose a weekend and try this out in Montauk

1) Can/Should I use a fly rod?

2) Is it sight fishing or just chucking into areas that may hold fish?

1. Yes, however most fishermen there will be using conventional gear.

2. Mostly chucking, however, when you see fish (and you will almost certainly see many of them!) they are in large schools on the surface so you are casting to groups of fish rather than individuals.

I've fly fished a good bit on the beaches at Montauk and, trust me, it is unlike anything you will see anywhere in PA. The crowding and antics make Erie pale by comparison. Guys literally swimming in the ocean after fish while attempting to fly cast; dudes swearing at - and casting lures at, boats. I've seen boats smashed on rocks. It's unbelievable combat fishing. Just chaos (it's not always like this, but during the prime fall months, on the beach, it often is).
Bring your fly rod but be aware that if you're going to fish from the beach at the point, North Bar, or Turtle Cove......if the fish are running, it is likely to be very crowded. Bring your best NY city accent and demeanor. :cool:
If you don't fish - it's worth the show. When the fish are in, it can be glorious and I've had days when, despite the crowds, I caught so many bass on a fly from shore that I quit fishing due to sore arms. It's really an amazing place - definitely worth a visit.

if you got a 10 bring in. it the best striper fishing in the world besides north jersey. HAHA. if they are not there yet it should be soon. in a week or two. the early part of the run is a mix of stripers and albies. have yet to hook one but I know a 8 is pushing it, 9 will work but its like a 3 wt on a 20 plus brown or so I've been told. if you can get on a boat you increase your chances. I mean if your on a boat you are probably gonna stop fishing cause your arms hurt.

post this to get the blood pumping. probably watched this like 20 times. Montauk is the end. when you go there you can expect all hell to break lose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XEC2KPb7z8

I don't think rod wt is that much of a factor in fighting fish...if it is you're hold the tip too high. Turn the rod down/to the side and fight it from the butt section
Fighting the wind is why you need heavier wts

I agree in most cases off the surf but having a heavier rod comes in handy when in situation where you are at a higher point then the water. Jetties for example along with boats. There might be a part of the landing process where the rod is more vertical then horizontal. A 10 pound blue can bust a 8 wt pretty easy. If you get a shot at a 20 pound bass you better bring a gun to gun fight.

Eight is OK up to about 20#. After that, you're going to lose fish. A 30# from shore will noodle an 8wt, especially if there is current running. And a 30# isn't far from doable at that location.

Yea what surfcowboy said. One thing a guide in Martha's Vineyard told me is the gear for albies and blues need to be very good. By this I mean a good reel and decent rod with a smooth drag system. Stripers are not going to make the runs that are going to put you in you backing in five seconds. Not that they can't put you in you backing quickly. They just move slower. This is one of the reasons why I love blues. They don't give up and have so much power for there size.

Marc

big thing for albie reels is make sure they are well lubed. dry bearings = burned reel.

Paul Dixon has been putting Conway Bowman on 40" stripers all week. Have anchovy flies and white deceivers and maybe a sparse, long Clouser. Put a little orange or gold in these ties. And go where the people ain't. Just about every day, fish pop up in almost every acre of water-so find a good spot and be patient. You don't want to deal with the conventional fishermen if you don't have to. And maybe watch the boats-if they are doing well just offshore of a spot with fewer fishermen on shore, go there and wait. And blind cast.

Heading to Montauk next Friday for the weekend but going the conventional route. Buddies dad is a big time surf caster so he has tons of equipment for us. Never fished prior to last year when I picked this thing up so should be interesting yet fun.

Good luck - take some pictures. It's prime time up there and, unless the weather is terrible, there should be plenty of fish around. It's not a bad idea to use spin gear for your first surf fishing trips. You'll get a feel for fishing the surf and the types of lures/baits that work (you'll be surprised how big they are). Blues, stripers, and albies pull mighty hard on spin gear too and it's often easier to get 'em on spin gear from shore when it's crowded and the fish are further out than you can fly cast.

Here's some motivation. This painting depicts the lighthouse looking up from Turtle Cove at the battery that has fallen into the sea. There will likely be more fishermen than this. :)

Attachments

• Montauk Trophy.jpg
    Montauk Trophy.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 4
Here's an actual pic of that very spot in Turtle Cove.... :-o

Attachments

• turtle3_560.JPG
    turtle3_560.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 3
Lol.....fished Montauk one time!!

Two buddies and I headed up to Montauk to fish the surf. It was fairly crowded, even during the week, but I found just enough room to cast a fly rod.

Soon after we got there a blitz happened right in front of us and a mad dash of "anglers" from both sides descended upon us. I backed off to find a safe haven well back on the beach.

As I watched the frenzy of bait, fish, and "anglers" in front of me, I noticed the boats hanging near the beach had spotted the blitz and headed in closer to shore. Closer than I've ever seen boats come to shore anywhere else...too close!

The "anglers" from the surf and from the boats started yelling at each other; saying things like "Wot da Effff"...."back da efff off ya effiin azzhole." Well I'm sure they couldn't hear from the boats, but there was a lot of waving and hand signals going on.

The surf guys decided to get out the heavy artillery and pinned on some magnum spoons, plugs and jigs on their swivels and began firing out casts, hitting the boats. Zing.....zang.....kapow!!!

The volleys continued for a while. After sustaining a few hits, one of the guys out there decided to break rank from the other boats and began doing donuts over the blitz. :-o

That was it for me fishing that day. I never returned. True story.

Good luck, Stagger. Post a report and pics :)

Lol @ afish .. that sounds so NY, especially all 5 boros and the 2 counties of Lawng Island. Not expecting the peace and tranquility of what I'm used to tho I love the sound of the ocean. Grew up on LI and spent a lot of time out east but was never a fisherman. Looking forward to my first fishing weekend.

don't leave the flies at home if you have some salts. probably gonna be on rainbait so surf candies and epoxies are going to be the way. about 14 inches above a diamond jig.

Back