Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Surf Fishing
From Gettysburg
Adam,
MD currently does not require a license to fish off the beaches (the Chesapeake bay is another matter). You will however be required to register with the feds. This is easy and free:

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/about ... eeds_angler_registry.html

Posted on: 2010/7/25 9:20

From Pittsburgh
The only thing I would add to the great advice already given is I much prefer a clear intermediate line for the surf. The surf in the Atlantic even on a calm day will toss your floating line around too much. In addition, the most valuable tool you can bring with you is a good stripping basket. Otherwise you will spend most of your time trying to untangle and retrieve your fly line.

Oh yeah... one more thing.... Tidal movement is everything. If you are fishing a slack tide you are basically practicing your cast. Try and hit a either a rising or falling tide. I just bought a great tide app for my iphone which I absolutely love called Tide Graph. It will give you the exact tidal stats to your exact location wherever you are.

Good luck and tight lines! Watch out for joggers on your back cast, I caught one on her shorts once... I felt terrible and she almost ended up with her shorts around her ankles!

Posted on: 2010/7/25 16:17

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
You don't have to make 50 to 100 foot cast to catch fish. i always get fluke within 20 foot of the wash if not in in it. 9' 9wt. with an intermediate and a sink tip of 350 grains will do it. Indian river can produce, blues, weaks, shark, along with fluke, croaker, etc. I spent 10 years there fishing the inlet and back behind the coast guard station. (where I got bit by a shark) There are some puppy drum back there on some yaers too. anywhere on the Del./ Md. coast should be good. Have to know the tides, wind, moon to hook up though.

Posted on: 2010/7/25 17:48

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Potter/montgomery
Bob,
Are you headed down to Jersey this year ? I'm headed to the cape again for stripers in early october. Might swing back to jersey and meet ya if the timing is right.

Posted on: 2010/7/25 18:01

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Adam,
MD currently does not require a license to fish off the beaches (the Chesapeake bay is another matter). You will however be required to register with the feds. This is easy and free:

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/about ... eeds_angler_registry.html

Thanks for the advice, time to start a new thread

Posted on: 2010/7/25 22:13

From central pa
Pittflyguy - I didn't buy a line yet and was going to ask for line type advice at my local fly shop. Great trout shop but not sure how much they know about saltwater fishing. Thanks for chiming in - I'll go with a clear intermediate line. May have to order it online though, doubt if I can get one locally but will check around. Would you stick with an 8 wt line for a stiff 8 wt rod or overline to 9 wt?

Will also pickup a stripping basket. There are days I get tangles trout fishing so can see where having line floating around your legs in the surf would be an invitation for disaster. Will watch out for joggers!

Posted on: 2010/7/25 22:34

From Stevens
If you are fishing De, i.e. Indian River you do need a license, 7 day pass is 15$ and remember to call and get your FIN#

Posted on: 2010/7/25 22:45

From Pittsburgh
Kilwell,

That is a bit of a "loaded" question. As far as over lining your rod by one wight depends much on the rod, your casting abilities and the casting situation. I think over lining works really well when you need to load the rod quickly especially for site fishing. I am don't think at the end of the day that you will be throwing all that much more line. Having said that, I have a Redington CPX 8 Wt that throws a 10wt line beautifully and I think the rod is far too stiff for 8wt line.

If I were you, I would head up to your shop and throw a 9 wt line in the parking lot on the rod and see how it feels compared to the 8wt line. Not sure if anyone else has a better answer to that one, but for me it is much about how the rod feels when it loads and how I can shoot line for the circumstances I am trying to fish.

One mistake I have made in the past in the surf is thinking that I had to throw 90 feet of line to get to the fish. Often they are practically swimming around your feet picking up bait in the wash.

Good luck and tight lines!

Posted on: 2010/7/26 9:20

Quote:
I am don't think at the end of the day that you will be throwing all that much more line. Having said that, I have a Redington CPX 8 Wt that throws a 10wt line beautifully and I think the rod is far too stiff for 8wt line.

2 line sizes over will put a lot of strain on a rod. You might have to change your casting style to cast it with the proper line..

Posted on: 2010/7/26 11:32

From SEPA
You'd probably want an intermediate sinking line, helps keep it from getting moved by the breakers.

Sandy up there suggested using a much faster sinking line, but that'll increase your difficulty in casting and limit it to only the surf, plus be even harder to find.

Posted on: 2010/7/26 19:00

From central pa
Pittflyguy- my 8 wt rod is also a Redington. It's a Redfly which I believe is a less expensive model than your CPX, not sure if it's a saltwater model. I don't have much experience with the heavier weight rods but it also seemed very stiff when yard cast with a friend's 8 wt line and reel. Didn't take long for me to get it seriously shooting line though.
Hope to get a line this week, intermediate if available or sinktip that can double up for bass duty. Don't intend to tie up a whole lot of money in specialized gear till I see how I like it. Just found out my hunting buddy who lives in Delaware has a friend with 30+ years of saltwater fly fishing experience and he's going to try to get us hooked up.
I learned a lot from everyone's input - tight lines to all of you as well

Posted on: 2010/7/27 9:18

From Potter/montgomery
I use a 350 grain sink tip setup on the beach and back bays. easy to find all companys make them or go to a shooting line setup with different weight heads. not hard to cast either. best way to fish inlets is a sink tip. best way to get fluke is a sinktip and a white/chartreuse clouser with salt and pepper flash-a-bou.

Posted on: 2010/7/28 20:51

Quote:
Sandy up there suggested using a much faster sinking line, but that'll increase your difficulty in casting and limit it to only the surf, plus be even harder to find.

Gfen
how do figure that ?? 350 grain sinktips are easy to get, and the casting is just opening your loop slightly. One way to fish crease flies since that is how they were intended to be fished behind sinking lines, run 3 foot leader with a crease fly in the back bays great on all kinds of fish.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 6:52

I play in the surf like at least three days a month all season
from the end of march till the second week of Dec.
Now the rods I use are 8 wts fast actions , 10wts.
350 tips are good also keep an interm. line on hand.
Clausers are the game now till Sept. then things will change
up some. There will be Sand Eals and more Rain fish about.
heck even the pan fish are fun in the Surf.

wet

Posted on: 2010/8/7 19:56

From Johnstown, PA
Fishin in the salt has always interested me , if i was to just jump in the truck and go what would it cost me say for a three day , weekday adventure , after Labor Day , gimme a range if you can like campground compared to hotel etc. Also , how about access is that a problem?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 6:03

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com