Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Suggestions for Jacksonville Florida

From Landisville
I'll be in Jacksonville Florida for work in April, then tacking a few vacation days for the weekend of the 11th-13th. I'm looking for suggestions on guide services in the Jacksonville area. Would like to use fly gear but open to spinning gear as well. I have minimal experience in saltwater so I'd love to target reds, spotted trout, tarpon or any fish species that is willing to bite for that matter.

I'm just starting my research now so let me know your thoughts on what to target or who to hire.

Posted on: 3/4 10:34

Re: Suggestions for Jacksonville Florida

From Ephrata, PA
St Johns River, dude!

http://www.flyfishingjacksonville.com/

I went down several years back. The Salty Feather was like, the only fly shop in town. I guess it closed in 2011. Bummer. Great shop.

Posted on: 3/4 12:26

From Landisville
Yeah I did a little reading at lunch on the St. Johns River... Would be awesome to target reds and trout on the fly, but I'd be willing to use spin gear if it meant landing the first one for me. Looks like Capt. John Bottko who used to own the Salty Feather guides for Blackfly now.

I'm open to any suggestions on a guide service as I wont be able to take any gear with me.

Posted on: 3/4 14:32

Although it may not make sense seeing as you will already be around some decent fishing, Mosquito Lagoon is about 2 more hours south on 95. Great fishing and a great host of guides in the area for fly and spin fishing. Just a thought.

Posted on: 3/4 18:06

From florida
Try Rodger Bump. www.captainrodgerbump.com.
I haven't fished that area ',but theStJohns River has a lot of reds and trout that run in it. GG

Posted on: 3/4 20:27

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
go more south with the colder temps we are having fish will head south and deeper water..

Posted on: 3/5 7:38

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Landisville
Thanks everyone, will be looking in to all the suggestions.

Posted on: 3/5 10:23

From Florida
The salty feather has closed; the fly shop here in JAX is blackfly outfitters:

http://www.blackflyoutfitter.com/

It's across the street from where the old salty feather was, if you're familiar

The guide behind the link Sasquatch mentioned is Rich Santos. He is well known in these parts, and I've heard nothing but good things about him.

You will probably want to schedule your fishing trips around the tides. Around the lower St. Johns and its feeder creeks (all tidally influenced), I usually have the best luck on a falling tide. That time of year you can catch Reds, Speckled trout, Flounder, Jack Crevalle, and a number of other saltwater species.

The dates of 4/11 through 4/13 coincide with the full moon, which typically means higher than usual tides. When we get "flood tides," the water comes up into the grass in the marshes, and reds come into the flooded grass to feed on the fiddlers. Flood tides make for exciting sight fishing, and many local fly-fishers look forward to them, much like the hatches in PA.

When you get closer to your date, send me a PM; I can suggest a few wade spots to check out, and maybe even give you some company

Posted on: 3/6 14:47

- Ray Bergman

From Gettysburg
Hey Mike - good to hear from you! Glad to see you're still checking PAFF from time to time.

Posted on: 3/6 15:20

When you cross the inter coastal on beach boulevard there is a place on the north side where you can line up a guide.Or you can drive down to Mayport on A1A and find one.Jacksonville beach is the area for good fishing.If you don't mind using spinning gear the blues and spanish should be in the surf big time in april.Gotchac's get them .
also on A1A down in the Mayport area there is a lot of great wade fishing.Also you can find jetty fishing in the Mayport area.

Posted on: 3/6 18:18

and as good fortune mentioned the tidal creek fishing in the area is really fun.Google it up.Canoes and kayaks work.Some slot reds work up the creeks on high and you can ambush them moving down.If you are into bait fishing-live shrimp will catch anything you would want to catch.and a few you don't.

Posted on: 3/6 18:24

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah I'm glad Mike still pokes around because I sense a trip down to Jacksonville is in order for my family in the next few years.

Posted on: 3/7 10:13

From Landisville
I'm getting excited the more I think about this. This will be a first time fishing Florida for me. Mike thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted when it gets closer to that time. Shoot me a pm with an effective way to contact you and maybe we can talk in person phone or email.

Posted on: 3/7 20:49

From Florida
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Hey Mike - good to hear from you! Glad to see you're still checking PAFF from time to time.

Yep, I still poke around from time to time here. I miss fishing all of my favorite streams in PA (and MD), as well as all my fishing buddies. I get to fish vicariously through you guys when I read your posts

Quote:
I'm getting excited the more I think about this. This will be a first time fishing Florida for me. Mike thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted when it gets closer to that time. Shoot me a pm with an effective way to contact you and maybe we can talk in person phone or email.

It's not everyday that my hometown gets mentioned on the boards, so it drew my curiosity. Slay, I'll send you a PM with my contact info. I hope you can get on some good fishing while you're here.

Quote:
Yeah I'm glad Mike still pokes around because I sense a trip down to Jacksonville is in order for my family in the next few years.

Squatch...whenever you're ready, give me a holler.

Posted on: 3/10 22:11

- Ray Bergman

From Florida
I was in error with the link to Rich Santos site in my 1st post; here it is below:

http://www.flyfishjax.com/

Check out some of his videos when you get the chance, whether you go with him or not.

P.S. - Pete, are you in the area? Just curious...

Posted on: 3/10 22:18

- Ray Bergman

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com