Sucker kill on the Susky?

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

I wet-waded a local stretch of the NB Susquehanna River, and thought the river looked healthy, with tons of baitfish, YOY smallies, and crayfish, bu t then I came to a shallow bay and found around 20 dead suckers, all in the 18-20" range. Any idea what could have killed them? On a more positive note, I nailed a bunch of smallies in a feeder stream using a size 4 tan crayfish.

High water temps killed them...

I too was up on the NB Susky this week and saw a handful of dead fish (including a northern pike close to 30") - however, as you describe, the river looked very good with lots of YOY smallies in the shallows. I didn't see any dead suckers. Keep in mind, small, localized fish kills are common on big warm water rivers this time of year. Sometimes it's temp related and sometimes spawning stress. Oftentimes, the cause is unclear.

jjsjigs wrote:
High water temps killed them...

that was my first guess as well, but I didn't see any of them up Gardner's creek, where I normally see a ton of them this time of year, although as mentioned, there were a ton of smallies up that creek.

Fracking fluid!

Frackin' Fluid...will be FF on this thread in months. Add the meanings of "F's." you guys are creative.

Glad I had the opportunity to fish with 30+fish/day.

Back