Striper and shad

marcq

marcq

I just wanted to share this with you guys. Most guys have been going for trout lately but I like something that pulls a little harder. I know this is a fly fishing forum but after today I'm making the switch to the long rod. I have been Down fishing for shad in the city far the past two weeks. I have been the only one fishing every day i was there. I have lost some really big fish and got a few other species in the mix as well.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/marcQ2/5a73d49b.jpg

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/marcQ2/ad2107da.jpg

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/marcQ2/444f0684.jpg

Most of the shad have been in the 18 to 25 inch range. The hybrid was around 28. Also I did catch it on 5 pound test. I'm thing of trying my new gopro out when it go with the fly.

Marc

I've been fishing for some shad too, but on the susq. I haven't had much luck with the shad yet, but it's still early. The peak of the run should start in the next week or two. Some rain would help too, especially for us shore fisherman.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 2
I have a few questions. First what weight rod do you use? I have a 8 and a 6. I think I'm better off with the eight cause of the by catches like stripers. I can also cast it further. Second is the Susquehanna tidal? Where I fish is I do best around low tide and it's easier to wade out. My main idea is to target stripers and bass with a clouser and add a teaser intended for shad. How heavy of a leader do you use to? With my spin I have been using 10 lb test I might go up to 12 or 14 for a leader.

Thanks marc.

I use a 6wt. mostly because i have several different sinking lines for it, it's illegal to target stripers on the part of the susq i fish, and white perch are common. An 8wt would be good for multipurpose for shad/striper.

It is technically tidal in that you need a tidal maryland license to fish there and there are no barriers/dams between you and the bay, however i've never noticed any tidal effects on water levels and i doubt the water has much salinity at all. It's right below the conowingo dam so the dam is controlling 99% or more of water level fluctuations.

i use a few feet of straight 10lb fluro off my sink tips. I know a lot of guys go lighter but i don't think it's sensible in my case. I dunno what conditions are like where you fish, but below the dam is a rugged environment. The combination of frequent snags/jagged rocks everywhere, heavy heavy current, generally stained water, and the possibility of hooking everything from a 4oz perch to a 40lb striper is why i go a little heavy on the tippet.

If you're going to target the stripers i'd certainly recommend 10lb or greater tippet and probably a larger fly, to mimic shad/herring. The clouser should catch lots of shad tho. Tight lines marc!
-Rob

I MISS STRIPERS AND SHAD !

for anyone who is interested in catching shad: get out now or soon! reports from the delaware have been very good the past few days and my roommate and i nailed them on the susquehanna this past saturday. They're really running right now.

Back