Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Stevenson Reservoir/Sinnemahoning Creek - Cameron County

From Mount Joy, PA
My holiday weekend consisted of a weekend in Sinnemahoning at my wife's family cabin. Saturday I took the kayak out on the Stevenson Reservoir from roughly 09:00-14:00. I covered a lot of water, but struck out fishing. From what others were saying and doing, they weren't having much luck either (spin guys). Either way, it beat working and it was a gorgeous day to be on the water. I snapped the tip to my 8wt and lost my anchor which didn't make me happy

Click to see original Image in a new window

I ventured up to the top of the reservoir and saw numerous bass redds. For a second I though I may have been on the surface of the moon! I made it up as far as where the First Fork enters the reservoir, but couldn't go any further due to the low water level.

Bass redd

Sunday I fished the Sinnemhoning Creek from the town upstream for about a mile (area of the stream gauge). I found a nice deep stretch a few hundred yards upstream of Sinnemahoning and had a blast sight fishing to a pool of fish. I landed a 12" fallfish, LM bass and a catfish. I was using my 5wt since my 8wt was out-of-service and this was the first catfish I had ever caught. I really wished I had my 8wt as I almost felt 'outgunned' with my 5wt. Wow, what an experience! He pulled me like a truck and I finally ended up just beaching him. Wow, what power!

15" catfish

The hot fly for the day was an olive/brown bugger. The fish just seemed to love it dead drifted and it was my "go to" fly. Just upstream of this hole I found a rock with a bunch of rock bass piled up underneath it. I fished on them for a while and landed probably a dozen or so. They weren't large (maybe 8"), but they were fun to sight fish to and watch them run and leap.

One of many rock bass

I have really opened up my eyes to warmwater fishing and gotten past the notion that trout are the "only game in town". I have a lot of respect for WW fish and the opportunities they present. I'm also thankful for barbless hooks so I don't have to nuts around with the hook!

Posted on: 2010/7/5 16:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com