Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Snagging season?

From SEPA
Moffitt system is pretty clever, there's a circle hook at the end of the line, and the flies are built on tubes that'll slide down the line. So, the fish mouths a softer, more realistic feeling fly, then hooks himself as he pulls away on the outside of the mouth with the circle hook.

The reason people claim its snagging is because its on the outside of the mouth, not the inside. The reason that reasonable people don't think its snagging is because it requires the fish to actually take the hook.

Centerpinning involves mega-long dead drifts. The reel just spins around a center pin spooling out line while the current drifts your offering. Eventually, you see the take, set the hook and turn the drag on the reel. The reason this gets a bad name is because its easy to dead drift your offering down an entire stream dominating the water.

I know Jay does pinning, and can probably explain it better. Not sure if anyone here has actually tried the Moffitt system, most are unsure what PA law has to say about it.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:09

From Bozeman
Gfen has it, except there is usually no drag. You apply pressure to the spool with your hand for drag. Most of the skill in pinning is casting (you can't just open a bail or strip line out in false casts) and fighting fish (no drag).

Long rods (11ft+) are often used.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:35

From Delaware Co.
Jay I came accross a dvd on center pinning I will make you a copy if you want .

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:46

From Bozeman
Sounds good fred. PM incoming..

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:53

From SEPA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Gfen has it, except there is usually no drag.

Really? SOmeone told me that most reels had a selector on them, and you could click it from centerpin to regular drag. Shows what I know.

I just assumed with how everyone rants about steelhead and drags, that these things had proper drags on 'em.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 12:43

From Bozeman
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Gfen has it, except there is usually no drag.

Really? SOmeone told me that most reels had a selector on them, and you could click it from centerpin to regular drag. Shows what I know.

I just assumed with how everyone rants about steelhead and drags, that these things had proper drags on 'em.

None that I have used. They have a clicker mode, but it's more like a strong click and pawl used for keeping it from spinning while walking or in storage.

Maybe that's the exception rather than the rule, but I have yet to see one with drag.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 12:58

They do this one the Yellowstone as well. I gotta say that it's an ugly way to go about reducing a fish to possession.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 13:46

From Johnstown, PA
If a "cull" is needed to properly manage them , and they can't be caught on conventional methods , isn't it better to let them snag them and use them , instead of doing what happened at some of the National Parks , like Gettysburg , where instead of letting the public come in , under a controlled hunt , and "cull" the deer herd , They proposed using , and used in some cases , employees of the Fish and Wildlife dept. to do it and who knows what happened to the meat/food which would have been used by the public. I don't snag fish and wouldn't participate even if i could , but i'd rather let folks who want and need to do it , DO IT , instead of the other options.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 7:03

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
This isn't all that unusual, really..

So far as I am aware, there continues to be a short season on Lake Champlain where it is legal to shoot northern pike under Vermont regs.

That's from memory. Somebody could google it if they want. But I'm pretty sure, even after a lot of controversy, it was still a legal pastime through the 2009 season.

Posted on: 2010/1/14 15:35

From pittsburgh
i think the reason snagging is allowed for paddle fish is because i was told its afilter feeding fish that gets huge paddlefish

Posted on: 2010/1/15 20:20

-me

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com