Smallmouth near Pittsburgh

R

Rickb326

I live in the Pittsburgh area and I am trying to find some good areas to fly fish for smallmouth. I have tried Pine Creek around Bryant Road with not much luck. I don't really want to drive completely out of the way, but I will be up for suggestions.

Highland park dam is a good spot, especially during spring. Also the creek at duck hollow, on the mon during high water conditions will get you on smallmouths and sauger, and a few walleye

Not sure what you mean by completely out of the way.

Here are suggestions within an hour's drive of Pittsburgh (Home of the Future World Champion Pirates):

Slippery Rock Creek (anywhere)
Buffalo Creek from Freeport up to Boggsville (accessible via Rt 28)
Lower Youghiogheny River from West Newton up
Neshannock Creek (especially from Neshannock Falls downstream)
Beaver River (anyplace)
Any medium size stream in the Pgh area that isn't too polluted

I'm with Greenghost... I've been out for smallmouth up around the New Castle Area if you're willing to make the drive. Neshannock Creek is one of my favorite spots, just north of downtown New Castle. Shenango River has been really good lately too on the southside of New Castle Before it hits the Beaver River. Most are in the 7-10 inch range, but I've managed a couple 12"+. Haven't had a day where it's been bad fishing up that way. Black / Brown WB and white streamers.

Allegheny River

GOPR0927.jpg

That's a great fish Byrnes.

Back