Smallies in the Slippery Rock Area

S

schwatk

Hi Guys & Gals,

3 Years ago many of you helped me with info. So I thought I'd try you again.

I am a fly fisherman from San Diego, CA.. My wife (who also fly fishes) and I will be out in the Slippery Rock area late July and early August for a Medieval War at Coopers Lake Campground. We hope to get out a couple of days for some smallmouth bass fly fishing. We don't have smallies in Southern California. We are both strict C&R fisherman. We were hoping some of you would be willing to share your knowledge regarding places to try, what color and type flies to use. 3 years ago we fished Slippery Rock Creek below McConnells Mill. It was fun and we managed a few smallies each. Anything you'd care to share would be helpful. I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their honey holes of course. Can anyone suggest a good fly shop in the general area too. Thank you for any and all help!
Take care!
Joe

Continue south on I-79 until you get near Pittsburgh. Get off the Moon Run exit, I believe. Bear right...International Angler is on your left. Less than 700 feet.

ncflyshop.com isn't too far either. The neshannock can have some bass and potentially a few trout left at that point too.

poppers, streamers, hoppers, sliders. They all work well for smallies. All white streamers work well for me on the Slippery Rock.

you asked for a "good fly shop" international angler is your best bet... you can pass it on your way to SR from the airport... however they don't sell lics

Late July to early August may get you into the white fly hatch. This is awesome fishing on Slippery Rock to rising smallmouth bass starting just before dark and lasting an hour or more past dark. You can try to imitate the white mayflies, but I tend to throw a white popper. I find the larger fly helps distinguish my offering from the myriad of naturals.

Link to a thread from last August...

head west on rt 422 from the festival, take rt 19 north, go about 3 miles, you'll cross the slippery rock and can fish it there. if you look at a map of the area you will find the local roads that cross the creek upstream and down from there. you can fish at any of these places, plus a few more where the stream follows a road. that bridge is only about 4 miles from the festival. like alby said, usually gets going around 8:45 and lasts until 9:30 or so.
just don't bring 1000 of your friends to bath in the creek!!LOL!
I may run into you on the creek somewhere, I live a mile up 19 from the bridge and fish there a bit.
if you stop in volant at the fly shop, he should have some white flies tied up, or use any white popper or big white dry fly. coffin flies work well.

Everyone,

Thank you for the help and info. Are there any other rivers/streams/creeks my wife and I should check out in the area beside SRC? Secondly, how late can we fish? Here in SoCal we can only fish for a half hour after sunset.

Thanks again!

Joe

unless you get pestered by some crazy landowner, you could probably fish all night, unless your parked in a state owned area, state park, game lands,etc) then it's an hour past sunset I believe.

We leave for PA. this Thursday night. We are really looking forward to flyfishing for smallmouth bass. How has the fishing been lately? Are the white flies hatching?

What is considered a good size smallie? Out here in SoCal we have largemouth bass. My best so far is a 10.8 lber. When I was back in PA. 7 years ago I caught a 17 inch smallie (have no idea how much it weighed) on a Clouser Crayfish. I must say it fought much better than my 10 pound largemouth. I love smallies. I wish we had them in SoCal.

Tight lines to all of you and take care!

Joe

Schwatk,

We tried Saturday evening and the white flies were just beginning. The smallies were not on them yet. I think the white flies will be on this week.

A smallmouth 9in the 10-18 inch range is a good fish on Slippery Rock Creek. Your 17 incher was a pretty special fish.

A 20" smallmouth is almost a fish of a lifetime in PA. Average in slippery rock will probably be 10-15". Have fun, take a camera, and fill us in on how you did!

no white flies on the upper part yet, fished tonite, no bugs, no fish, nothing. just a lone heron and some deer getting a drink.
should happen soon though.

Back