Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

SE PA SMB

From Landenberg PA
Anyone been on to any in the area? Been slow for me even on warmer streams but it is just not quite the season yet. This cold snap needs to go away, soon!

Posted on: 2013/5/24 22:33

Re: SE PA SMB

From Delaware Co.
I didn't know that we had smallies in SE PA

Posted on: 2013/5/24 23:15

From SE Pa
Quote:
Anyone been on to any in the area? Been slow for me even on warmer streams but it is just not quite the season yet. This cold snap needs to go away, soon!

A few. I know there are several places and people who do OK for SMB in SEPA, but in general the Flatheads, environment and whatever else have taken a serious toll.

I know the state and some folks say there's no need to modify the kill regulations for them in SEPA because there's no verified scientific statistical evidence that harvesting them is part of the problem.

But I wonder how having more adults to reproduce (by reduced harvest) can be detrimental to assisting the SMB population regardless of what the causes for decline are.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 9:40

From Bucks County
I've caught a few in the Neshaminy while fishing for trout years ago. I'm going to fish there this Sunday if the water is not too blown out.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 10:52

From Bucks County
They are in the neshaminy as noted above. The Delware and Schuykill also are pretty good if you know where to look.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 20:25

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Also tohickon, tinnacum, (sp) N. branch neshamminy, east branck perk too..

Posted on: 2013/6/9 11:16

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Springer, having more adults is not detrimental to the fish population; it is just unnecessary. It is a rare fishery in which the number of young (YOY) produced is limited by the abundance of adults...smallmouth bass or trout. Rather, it is the weather conditions and the stability of those conditions during spawning and for weeks afterward that determines year class strength.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 22:42

From Chester County
Springer,

I agree SMB fishing in SEPA has become pretty poor.

You really answered your own question as to why:

Quote:

I know there are several places and people who do OK for SMB in SEPA, but in general the Flatheads, environment and whatever else have taken a serious toll.

The habitat has really declined, especially in the Schuylkill River, the lower Perk among other SE rivers and streams. Over development along the stream and watershed causing the loss of riparian cover and porous surfaces, plus water quality issues from overtaxed sewage treatment plants is likely the culprit. Also, I'm sure the introduction of huge predator fish like flatheads hasn't helped either.

I really doubt that C&R regulations will have an appreciable effect on the SMB population since very few fish are harvested.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 7:25

From Flourtown, PA
I don't think flatheads have the first thing to do with it. The James and New are chock full of the damn things, and both always have been. They've also always been chock full of smallies. So I don't think they are an issue. They do, however have a much higher tolerance for awful water, so the presence of flatheads and the lack of smallies makes me think the river is just too hot and dirty. Fine in a hooker, or in a Martini, but hell on smallmouth.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 18:39

From SE Pa
LoL - maybe Snakeheads will be the warm water target of choice in 10 years.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 19:44

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
LoL - maybe Snakeheads will be the warm water target of choice in 10 years.

+1^

Posted on: 2013/6/11 20:06

From Gettysburg
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
The James and New are chock full of the damn things, and both always have been.

Flatheads are native to the Mississippi drainage which includes the New River, but not the James River. They've probably been in the James for only a few decades and are regarded as an invasive species (or a great game fish depending on whom you ask). When I lived in VA about a decade ago, there were certainly anglers I talked to who felt felt that the introduction of flatheads and blue cats had been detrimental to bass populations in the lower James. Whether this is true or not I have no idea.

Nevertheless, the point stands that flatheads and smallies have co-existed for centuries in the rivers of the Mississippi watershed.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 21:53

From Chester County
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I don't think flatheads have the first thing to do with it. The James and New are chock full of the damn things, and both always have been. They've also always been chock full of smallies. So I don't think they are an issue. They do, however have a much higher tolerance for awful water, so the presence of flatheads and the lack of smallies makes me think the river is just too hot and dirty. Fine in a hooker, or in a Martini, but hell on smallmouth.

No doubt true in healthy rivers, but where SMB are struggling, adding huge predator to an already dwindling population of fish put them down for the count in many parts of the River (especially the lower sections).

A healthy breeding population of SMB could more than hold their own against predators. If the habitat and water quality is good, all fish will find their niche and thrive.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 7:05

From Upper Bucks
3-4 years ago, the SMB fishing on the D from Easton to New Hope was very good. Over the past few years, I have seen less SMB and more trout and stripers.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:58

From Flourtown, PA
I think it's water quality. Flatheads can thrive in awful water that would kill smallies. We have flatheads, we are losing smallies, and I don't think anyone believes the rivers are in better shape than they were 10 years ago.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 13:54

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com