Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Schuylkill River Smallmouth

From Bozeman
I used to see tons of large shad on the susq, as well as stripers, walleye, and bass back when the bass were still around. I'd share the location, but a now deceased friend swore me to secrecy (seriously).

Anyway, are they still doing well in the river? I haven't been there since the smallies disappeared.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 18:15

From Berks County
Now that things are really warming up I was wondering if anyone is seeing any better SM activity on the Schuylkill. I'm planning to hit it sometime over the long weekend for the first time this year somewhere between Reading and Pottstown.

And I definitely won't be doing any more wet wading for a long long time after reading/seeing some of the potential issues this may cause.

Posted on: 2010/7/3 14:54

- S. Curtis

From Chester County
I haven't had any luck and I've also read many fishing reports and comments that the SMB fishing on Skuke is really bad this year, so far anyway. Give it a try and post a report.

Posted on: 2010/7/4 6:18

From Berks County
I fished the Skuke on 7/4 for a couple of hours just up from Birdsboro (Berks county) from 9:30 (about 3 hours later than planned) until 11:00. The water level is on the lower side (2.5’ on the Reading gauge) and about as clear as it gets this time of year. No air/water temps were checked. I managed to land one very healthy looking SM (about 8”) and hook up to three more about the same size all on a chartreuse/orange hopper. Also caught several rock bass and some sunfish. It was a fun time, but there’s a lot of walking involved to get to decent water and it was getting hot by the time I left. Will definitely have to try again except much early.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 11:07

- S. Curtis

From Perkiomen Township, PA
I have not fished the Schuylkil in a few years. I used to fish in Oaks. I have a relative that does fish counts all over the state and he told me the last time they shocked Black Rock Dam it was loaded with Flathead Catfish. I am sure the Bass have found safer habitat, we just have to find it.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 19:21

with the water temps as high as they are and low flows=low O2, my past expereince has been the SM go up vallley and fishing at the dam is pretty good. I have not done it yet to find out, but should be a good test to see if the bass are still around or just gone entirely. I've also heard mixed reports, where some guys are still having high number days and it boils down to knowing where the fish are and what they want - I got a nice 18" and one 8" SM in the sanatoga area they other night and a few panfish in the mix.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 8:07

From West Lawn, PA
Concentrate in the head of pools with good amount of turbulence before the pool (yes, like trout). Stay in the shade if you can, or early morning. The Skook is not dead. Just stated to fish for SM this summer and have been averaging 5-6 an hour on several sections near Reading. Most around 6-10" a few over 12.

I work streamers including Clousers downstream at a 40 degree angle or so. So I am giving both a swing and a "jigging" upstream.

I hope this helps.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 18:05

SMB reproductive succes was extremely poor throughout the Schuylkill R. last year (see link) and was poor in 2010 in roughly the lower half of the river from Union Township Park, Berks Co, located below Birdsboro, downstream to Bridgeport, the most downstream sampling site. Best sites in the lower river were Bridgeport and Kinnelworth (Topath Park). Upstream from Birdsboro, starting at Fritz Island, below Reading, and continuing up to Port Clinton, reproductive success was very good.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fi ... /afm/2009/6x08_26schu.htm

Posted on: 2010/7/15 13:20

Thanks Mike, I sent you question via PM on a non-related topic.

Posted on: 2010/7/20 21:25

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
78 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com