Sandy Hook, NJ.

gfen

gfen

Off to Sandy Hook tonight, tomorrow should get there by first light and we'll chuck bait and then play with a fly rod while it soaks.

What does this have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing, because there's really nothing to share at this point with regards to it, I've just got it on the mind because this is the first chance I get to hit the salt up since last year's vacation,- and I can't wait to get back to it.

Depending on the area, I might take a walk over to one of the bays depending on how into fishing the surf my friends are in and the distances involved. Sattelite shots show some promising looking areas I'd like to take a closer look at, and I'm hoping I can start making htis a more regular occurance depending on how well it all comes together.

Good luck Gfen. Sandy Hook is one of the top surf fishing destinations in the NE. From what I've heard, this past spring was one of the best striper runs along the NJ coast in years. While the peak season is over, there are still some bass around and likely blues, weaks, and fluke too. I'd suggest low light conditions.
Let us know how you made out.

Spent the day at it, but it wasn't a good day for fishing... Water was really rough from the storms, and there was about 10# of mussels and crap on every cast.

Only thing that worked was soaking bait on the spinning rods, I tried to get in there with the fly to pick fluke up, but you never knew when the wave was going to be 5' and knock you on your back.

Oh well, I wanted to explore the bayside estuaries, but the guys I was with were equipped only for the surf... I think next time they go out, I should be able to get them to bring smaller stuff to work the wash and then move into the estuaries and coves.

Anyways, it was a 2 hour drive, that's not bad at all. Some great looking spots, too.

I can't wait to go back.

Who's up for some summer flounder fishing this year?

Back