Ruh Roh Reorge (Halt to fishing during spawn?)

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/370903

Discuss.

I think its a good idea. Most people seem angry.

Its a big chunk of the year to not be able to fish for smallmouth. During this low population period might be good to see if it will help increase the population. But to me it is one of the best times to be out there. I don't have a problem for catch and release.

I have mixed feelings about this. For years, many folks from the PFBC have told us (often correctly in my view) that harvest of game fish is so limited that enacting C&R regs would have virtually no impact. Now they go and implement C&R.
Nevertheless, I support the new C&R regs for the impaired river sections. For several years now anglers have been bashing the PFBC for "doing nothing" about the Susky or "presiding over the collapse of the greatest bass river".....or similiar such condemnations (criticisms that I think are unfair to the PFBC). Now that they actually do something they get howls of protest. It's really the unique form of hell that the agency always finds itself in: damned if they do and if they don't.

In the final analysis - it comes down to whether any benefit from banning fishing during the spawn would equal or exceed the damage done to guides and angling professionals who rely on fishing in the springtime. Nobody can know the answer. Perhaps this is one of those things that ought to be tried on a trial basis for a year or three and then re-assessed at a later time(?)

Personally, I do a lot of bass fishing during the pre-spawn but don't do much by late April/May so it wouldn't effect me much but I suppose I can understand the frustrations of some of the guides and tournament types. I do think the plan to extend the ban up into tributaries will be problematic and very tough to implement and enforce.

In the long run it's probably a good thing. The bad part is that bass fisherman are really going to miss out on a good chunk of the season. Bass don't all spawn at the same time. While some fish are on beds you can find pre or post spawning bass. Mid april to mid june really cuts into the opportunity to fish pre and post spawn patterns. The part of the river i grew up fishing is now one of the "sick" parts (marietta). The terrible bass fishing is part of what drove me to trout fishing. I've all but given up on bass fishing my home section of the sus q. Oh well, no use crying over a ruined ecosystem. Anybody know how to get flatheads to hit flies?

Dear Board,

For something that has only really been allowed for about ten years or so there seems to be an awful lot of people moaning over the loss of fishing to spawning fish?

PA is nothing if not steeped in traditions, why the reluctance to return to those glory days of yesteryear, circa 1999?

I'll tell you why, because a lot of people see their opportunity to profit from something they have done little if anything to preserve and protect vanishing right before their eyes. The kicker is, it seems they are more concerned about the vanishing dough than they are concerned about the vanishing fish?

Sure they want something done to restore the fishing to it's former glory, it just better not cost them anything in the process. Get someone else to bear the burden of correcting things, they have tournaments to run and money to be made dammit!

Correcting things will be a matter of trial and error and if you or I are inconvenienced occasionally along the way that is just the cost we have to bear. You don't have to like it, you just have to do it, or face the consequences.

Fishing over spawning fish is unethical. That is not something that is open for debate. One might attempt to rationalize their individual choice to do it, but that doesn't make it any less wrong. It's wrong because it violates fair chase ethics. If all you care about is photo ops and/or winning a tourney why not just throw a cast net and be done with it?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Board, For something that has only really been allowed for about ten years or so there seems to be an awful lot of people moaning over the loss of fishing to spawning fish? PA is nothing if not steeped in traditions, why the reluctance to return to those glory days of yesteryear, circa 1999? I'll tell you why, because a lot of people see their opportunity to profit from something they have done little if anything to preserve and protect vanishing right before their eyes. The kicker is, it seems they are more concerned about the vanishing dough than they are concerned about the vanishing fish? Sure they want something done to restore the fishing to it's former glory, it just better not cost them anything in the process. Get someone else to bear the burden of correcting things, they have tournaments to run and money to be made dammit! Correcting things will be a matter of trial and error and if you or I are inconvenienced occasionally along the way that is just the cost we have to bear. You don't have to like it, you just have to do it, or face the consequences. Fishing over spawning fish is unethical. That is not something that is open for debate. One might attempt to rationalize their individual choice to do it, but that doesn't make it any less wrong. It's wrong because it violates fair chase ethics. If all you care about is photo ops and/or winning a tourney why not just throw a cast net and be done with it? Regards, Tim Murphy

Best post on this board.........ever!

This has been a pretty heated debate within the smallmouth angling community. You can find some pretty good coverage of it here:

http://susquehannariverwatch.tumblr.com/

Some of the letters submitted by readers are pretty good.

Tim,

you should send your response to them it's one of the best I've read.

Dear Matt,

That is your name, right? Thanks for the kind words from both you and Sal regarding my response. What I wrote above is exactly what I feel and what I practice.

I made similar comments several years ago on the old riversmallies board and they weren't well received by many people. From viewing some of what has been written in the link you've provided I'd probably just be whizzing into the wind again?

Back then I wound up getting accused of anthromorphising the fish and being smug and holier than thou and all of that good stuff. It seems that people haven't come any closer to understanding that there is still a difference between actions that are legal and ethical. Until people understand that you can do something perfectly legal and still be ethically wrong I'll probably confine my comments to this board.

That may seem like the wimpy way out but you guys that have been around here for any length of time know I'm a jerk and I'm OK with that. I just don't see the need to make any more people aware of that necessary ;-)

Regards,

P.S. I never did anything with that Fenwick blank. Life got in the way, and I needed a new heating system in my home more than I needed a new fishing pole. There is always next year!

Tim

It seems that the majority of those who are not a guide or a tournament angler agree with you.

As Dr. Bachman stated in the one article, they have not received one letter of opposition from someone who is not a guide or bass tournament participant.

Dear Matt,

I cut and pasted my original post and sent it along to the Susquehanna River Watch. I guess we'll see if it sees the light of day and what happens if it does.

Regards,

hey tim,
you're one of my favorite jerks
good post...
john
;-)

Tim, I'll echo what others have said about your post...very well said. It seems to be the fishing equivalent if NIMBY...of course everyone wants to save the river and the smallmouth fishery, just not when it affects them directly.

I suppose it is also an example of the old adage "what is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right." Your comments fall into the "its just the right the to do" category.

Finally, for an example of successfully saving a fishery, everyone should read up on what Maryland and Virginia did to save the rockfish. Now they are back and breeding and surviving...establishing a fishery for everyone to enjoy for years to come.

Plus 1 for me TM. Good post.

You da man Tim!

Attachments

• tums up.jpg
    tums up.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 4
Back