Rogue waves.

osprey

osprey

Now that science has finally admitted that these exist , I gotta tell you that the thought of encountering one of these is so frightening to me it's almost a phobia. Have any of you that fish the salt or live near the ocean ever come upon one of these? Scares the hell out of me the prospect of being out there in a boat and nowhere to go and here it comes .........dang. Someone like Frederick or pete or GG can you give me some info if you have any?

I can't believe that none of you that fish the salt have ever heard about this or encountered it. They say that dry fly fishermen are close mouthed and elitist sheeeeeeeesh , I never encountered a group of folks as close mouthed about their sport as salt water fly fishers. Why is that? I have a few ideas , can you believe that? One of my theories is that alot of folks either depend on it for a living or have friends who depend on it for a living , am I right about that so far? I guess a regular old dry fly fisherman could make a living behind it , in fact I know a few who did , the thing is as I was told a long time ago if you try and do this for a living you will never have time to do the kind of fishing you like to do by yourself. Sooo since it's a hobby for me by choice I give away anything another angler needs , especially information , including streams which makes some folks angry. I don't want to hear any more about how dry fly fishers are snooty and secretive and elitetist , younz salties got a lock on that. This question is not asking for your favorite ling cod hole , this question could save someones life.

I watched a special on Nat. Geo or something about them.

Something about random wave patterns and that rogue waves don't necessarily look like a typical wave. They are often more similar to a jagged mountain in appearance than the typical ridge and valley characteristic of typical waves and occur mostly in the deepest ocean water.

A random occurrance of multiple waves converging on each other can be one cause.

I ran into some mini rogue waves on Labor Day weekend on the Susquehanna at Lake Frederick in my canoe, kind of scary. It was caused by very heavy speedboat traffic. As I came around the tip of an island the wakes from boats were converging from either direction from opposite sides of the long narrow island.

The typical waves from a large boat wake are maybe 1.5 - 2 ft. at the most, but where they converged it was like 4 ft. pyramid shaped waves rising and falling very quickly and erratically. It really is hard to describe but it reminded me of whack-a-mole gone crazy and I thought the canoe was going to sink.

You can imagine that on a grand scale in thousands of feet of water there are all kinds of posibilities.

That's all I got.

Really, you worry about rogue waves?

If that is what worries you- you don't got much to worry about living in J-Town.

I worry about my terrible casting, how dumb I look with a dishpan on or prehaps running out of beer.

Now, I would be lying if I said the thought never crossed my mind while camping on the on Golds Bluffs beach in the tsunumi zone. But my fears were quickly abated by cracking another beer.

osprey wrote:
I can't believe that none of you that fish the salt have ever heard about this or encountered it. They say that dry fly fishermen are close mouthed and elitist sheeeeeeeesh , I never encountered a group of folks as close mouthed about their sport as salt water fly fishers. Why is that? I have a few ideas , can you believe that? One of my theories is that alot of folks either depend on it for a living or have friends who depend on it for a living , am I right about that so far? I guess a regular old dry fly fisherman could make a living behind it , in fact I know a few who did , the thing is as I was told a long time ago if you try and do this for a living you will never have time to do the kind of fishing you like to do by yourself. Sooo since it's a hobby for me by choice I give away anything another angler needs , especially information , including streams which makes some folks angry. I don't want to hear any more about how dry fly fishers are snooty and secretive and elitetist , younz salties got a lock on that. This question is not asking for your favorite ling cod hole , this question could save someones life.

Osprey,
Ok, I'm confused.
Are you frustrated that nobody responded to your first post (that was only up for three hours)? Keep in mind, there aren't many salt guys on this forum - it may take us awhile to see your post and respond to it.

Anyway, I've heard of rogue waves and don't worry about 'em. I've fished the salt since I was kid and have never seen anything like this. Sure, once and awhile, there's a bigger wave that comes in but as long as you're keeping your eye on the water and not getting too far down on the rocks, it's not likely to be a problem. A much bigger safety issue for saltwater fishermen who fish from shore is slippery jetty rocks.

Been fishing the salt long time.
I have seen some waves that are bigger than others .
I don't worry about the waves , just keep an eye on them.
I was given advice lots of years ago that is not to turn your back on the surf.
The jetty rocks are a far bigger danger

wet

Man that's weird , the little fly fishing i've done in salt has mostly been on the Jetties in Jersey and as long as i had myself on land the feeling of nervousness i get when i'm in a boat and think about it just isn't as intense. Jake ..... the same thing as you talk about happened to my friend and me in his boat on the Raystown close to 7 points with all the boat traffic and converging waves and that is also what they were talking about on TV in the Natgeo show about rogue waves , random patterns converging into an occasional monster. The one scientist demonstrated this in an aquarium. I guess you just have to pay attention but how can you pay attention to the waves and fish at the same time or do you take turns fishing/watching?

Was knocked on my can by one in jersey. never saw it coming. while fishing the surf and facing into the waves one snuck up along the shore and nailed us. happens now and then where there are rips. came parallel to the beach, got soaked. nothing real big just a lot of power to it.

Sandfly..........That is what i'm talking about and out in a boat you are even less able to deal with it. I can still swim , that's one of the first things i made sure of. With the prosthesis on or off swimming is ok. Guess i have to look at it like most of the rest of you folks and just be aware but not over concerned. Hearing from some one that got hit by one and just dealt with it makes better. THANKS

Back