Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

River Smallmouths

From Bushkill
I want to catch smallies on the delaware, ive done well this year on spin gear. i fish mostly from digmans ferry to smithfield beach in the upper Delaware. i have bought clousers and crayfish which resemble the rapalas i throw. any suggestions on other flies and line set ups. as always thanks for your feedback

Posted on: 2013/7/6 19:24

Re: River Smallmouths

From philadelphia
almost any large version of a nymph you might use for trout will work.

buggers,cat whiskers,briminators ,rubber leg nymphs,McGinties,royal coachmen,and most soft hackles.

it can be fun to use a popper or a gartside gurgler as an indicator and drop a nymph or wet fly off of that

Posted on: 2013/7/6 19:45

From Ohio
You're pretty set with clousers and crayfish immitations, but as shakey said it's also good to have some nymphs and wets with you as well as poppers which can be a blast. Have some buggers(I prefer conheads) with you also.

Posted on: 2013/7/7 14:43

From Ohio
I carry three kinds of flies for bass, poppers, streamers and cray fish. These flies are good for smallmouth and largemouth. You can fish the crayfish by hopping it along the bottom or like a big nymph and dead drift it (tight line or under an indicator). Big nymphs will work too, but I generally don't use them. I tend to use nymphs when I fish a popper dropper rig. The nymphs are meant for blue gills, but i have picked up a few bass on them as well.

Posted on: 2013/7/7 15:04

From Pipersville Pa.
One of my favorite SM bass flies is a yellow rabbit strip muddler. I do some with either lead dumball eyes or a cone. I like to fish them with a loop knot for added action. As a matter of fact I fish all my weighted streamers with a loop.

GenCon

Posted on: 2013/7/8 13:36

From Bushkill
just bought a Zonker from orvis in size 8 looks like the bait fish we will c this weekend

Posted on: 2013/7/8 19:36

From Luzerne County, PA
Zonkers are deadly, I've had my best days last season dead drifting black wooly buggers. Poppers can be deadly when the topwater bite is on and nothing much really beats that kind of action.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:00

From Ephrata, PA
Caught my biggest smallie last year on a green drake. The hexes were on and I lost my last white wulff. The only thing I had in the right size and profile was a drake. Put it on and BAM. It was the famous green drake hatch of the Conestoga in Talmage PA

Posted on: 2013/7/9 16:02

I, catch s lot of river smally's on muddler minnows they love them.They also love gaines sneaky pete sliders a type of popper with a pointed head instead of cupped, their killer. I like the chartreuse ones alot snd so do the bass. Good luck. STREAMWISE

Posted on: 2013/7/9 20:37

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
i have done better with helgramite patterns than crayfish on the delaware over the years. a 4-6" skilton hellgramite is killer there. deceivers and clousers, gurglers, and small flashy shad patterns. those are the patterns i carried 200 days a year on the delaware as a guide.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 5:58

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Bushkill
sandfly i have been looking for good hellgramite pattern to buy but cant find one where do u suggest i look. and where do you have the most luck with that pattern in the fast or slow water

Posted on: 2013/7/10 19:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com