Raystown

maineflyguy

maineflyguy

I'll be camping at Raystown during Columbus Day weekend and have never fished the lake. Any decent fly fishing to be had? Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Where abouts are you camping at Raystown? Back at Branch Camp Grounds, back towards the dam, Through Creek area? You are pretty much surrounded with blue ribbon trout streams if your around Huntingdon/Raystown. Spruce Ck and The Little Juniata River, The Juniata its self depending on what your going after. The tail water out of the dam down to Corbin Island is a good bass fishery. Standing Stone just north of Huntingdon.... The list goes on if you want to drive, head on over to Penns and Spring. You are where everybody wants to be to go fly'n.

We have a place just outside of Huntingdon back towards the dam. We very well may be going up that weekend. I may have some time to show you a spot or two. Stay in touch.

We'll be at the resort, so I was planning to do some lake fishing with my boys. I've fished many of the streams/creeks you've listed, but I was probably just going to hit the lake this time.

I'm not sure what water levels are like these days but oftentimes this time of year they are down a couple feet and you can walk the shoreline. If not, you'll have to look for a cleared area to fish (there are many) or hit it with a boat. Being a cold, deep, clear lake your best bet, I would think, would be to hit the water at dawn and evening. Mid day fishing under a bright sun will likely be tough. Search with a popper and if this doesn't work or the sun is still on the water I'd fish a big streamer like a WB or bunny leech under a big strike indicator around the edges of the weed beds for bass. If bass don't cooperate, set up a couple nymphs instead and go for panfish. In the evening it is possible you might see some stripers working the surface, particularly down by the dam, but I wouldn't hold my breath for stripers.......I'd chase bass and sunnies in the shallow weeds if I was fly fishing.

I have a camp near 7 Points and slip a ski boat at Raystown Resort (no electronics, not set up for fishing). In the past 5 years of spending about 20 weekends a year on the water there I have had limited fishing success. The lake is massive and deep; my slip is only 5 boats from shore and it's 63 feet deep under my boat. This is the norm at Raystown; there are places where the water is 120 feet deep within 40 feet of shore. Without a boat and electronics to find structure and fish, Raystown has a lot of empty water. I would consider it an extremely challenging environment for fly fishing.

The water levels are currently normal; there is no exposed shoreline at the moment and I'm not aware of plans for a draw-down this year. You can find a few coves with limited fishing opportunities from shore (panfish, carp, possible LMB), but for my money I go trout fishing when I'm in a fishing mood. More frequently, when I'm not driving the boat for the family, I'm mountain biking or trail running. The trail network around 7 Points is incredible for both of those pursuits.

Parks Orchard area will keep you entertained. It is a good place to fish. Lots of shallow coves and plenty of area to wade the shores.

I was wondering about the tailrace, I was thinking about driving down and sunday and hitting some smallies.

Its fairly good just down from the hydro plant, there's a rif or two down before you get into the flats. Then there is what I call the flats. Not a whole lot happening there for the most part. I usually park at the Corbin Island access and fish the back sides of both islands. The up stream islands usually pays off on the far shore under the tree branches for a few trout early in the season and now Smallmouth. It's worth it this time of year for bass but thats about it. From there on down to Point Access there are a few holes but for the most part it's just a huge solar panel. If the waters is up on the tail water all bets are off. It's a different world altogether. I really don't think there is any draw downs in the plans anytime soon. so the water should be low n slow. You've got about a 7+ mile drive once you turn off 22. Good luck.

maineflyguy wrote:
We'll be at the resort, so I was planning to do some lake fishing with my boys. I've fished many of the streams/creeks you've listed, but I was probably just going to hit the lake this time.
HE DID SAY THE LAKE!!!
I've never fished the lake, but a good friend of mine likes it and fishes it for Lakers, smallies and walleyes, along will other species.

Could careless what he said, mario66pens was talk'n bout the tailwater. Far as the Lake goes. It's best fished from a boat that is set up to fish that lake with somebody run'n it that knows the lake somewhat. I have a few friends that are set up to do it and they live a life of frustration chase'n big stripers. Oh, don't get me wrong. They catch some now n then but, it's a tuffy. Best to know someone with a boat that knows the water or hire a guide for a day. It costs a bit but it does payoff in fish.

Back