Question for all the carp lovers

T

trike23

I am from Hanover so I have some lakes that have plenty of carp in them in the area. All these lakes are only Minutes from my house so I was thinking of taking up a little carp fishing after work when I dont have time to drive to fish trout. And perhaps save a little on gas at the same time.

Problem is I dont own a boat. One of the biggest reasons I got into fly fishing is I didnt have to spend big bucks on a boat. So is it worth while to attempt this with no boat?

I dont know much about carp fishing and I know people like to sight fish them but is it possible to blind cast for them? In a life time of fishing from a boat or shore I cant ever remember catching a carp while bass fishing or pan fishing.To be perfectly honest I never take notice to them. Now that I am thinking about fishing for them I am racking my brain trying to think of where I usually see them and if it would be possible to catch them.?

I did pretty well fishing carp without a boat, but I primarily fish streams. If you can find carp on shallow flats, wading or shore fishing (shore fishing preferable as carp can be spooky) should work out fine. Most carp feed in relatively shallow water, so unless we're talking about huge bodies of water a boat shouldn't be necessary.

First you dont need a boat unless it is hard to wade. I have caught maybe 3 or 4 blind casting but it way less productive then sight fishing for them. Try to pick the right targets when carp fishing. The ones that are tailing or cruising the bottom slowly are usually better targets then the ones that are sunning themselves.

Definitely going to carp fish more this year.

I caught one while fishing for smallies in september and it got me hooked. Never had a fresh water fish fight so hard.

Carp up here are hard to catch compared to other areas. But they are fun. A bugger or crawfish always seems to work here.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 5
Back