Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Presque Isle Bay

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
could you recommend a rope or give me a source for the rope used for rope streamers? I'd like to add a half dozen or so rope streamers to one of the Erie boxes just in case.

Posted on: 12/14 23:52

From Ohio
I tied my gar flies with nylon rope, though I haven't had the chance to try them out yet.

Check out these sites...

http://www.flyfishga.com/gar.htm
http://www.flyfishohio.com/heat_wave_flyfishing.htm
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/Longnose-gar-on-the-Fly/

The Orvis link recommends 8 or 9wt rods, though in Erie and the three rivers you shouldn't need to go that heavy. 5 or 6wts should work for gar. I used my 5wt on the OH river without an issue, but then again those fish were on the small side(20in class). If you're already using an 8wt for bass then just use that for gar..

Posted on: 12/15 10:23

so, just tied up a dozen gar flies, now after a little research, I'm thinking I might try to add a bowfin to the list while I'm out that way too...

and after discussing plans with the other parties involved, I'll likely be going up in mid-to-late May, so I'll be taking the carp rod, the bass rod (the 8-weight, since even the smallies in Erie are supposedly huge [average of 3 pounds]), and the muskie rod, seeing as that's about the peak of the pike in the bay.

Posted on: 12/21 4:34

Edited by sniperfreak223 on 2013/12/21 4:50:20

From Ohio
Quote:
I'm thinking I might try to add a bowfin to the list while I'm out that way too...

Definitely try to do it. I caught my first couple on the fly this year and they are a BLAST! I've never tried PIB for them, but from my experiences fishing for them at another location(Geneva Swamp) they can be very weird. One day you can fish for hours and not get a hit, even with cut bait on the bottom. Then the next day, under the same conditions, you can't keep them off the hook. My first successful outing fly fishing for them I originally started with bait, but once I ran out of dead chubs I switched to the big, heavily weighted buggy streamers and started hooking up right away. Very underrated sport fish.

Posted on: 12/21 9:55

^they are apparently in Presque Isle Bay, but there are a few other bodies of water within sane driving range from there that also have sizable bowfin populations, so I might hit one of those up either on the way to or on the way back.

Posted on: 12/22 0:48

and while talking to some friends at work, I mentioned that I plan to fish gar and already fish for pike and muskies with fly tackle, and they now think I'm insane.

Posted on: 12/22 4:32

think there will be any reason to bring a 4-weight along too or should I be fine with the 6-8-10 lineup?

Posted on: 1/15 23:03

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

sniperfreak223 wrote:
think there will be any reason to bring a 4-weight along too or should I be fine with the 6-8-10 lineup?

Panfish. The first time I fished PI with a fly rod I only took a 7wt. When the sun got higher in the sky the topwater bass bite shut off I retreated to the lagoons and there was no lack of panfish and small bass looking to attack a small popper. If it isn't a hassle, better to have it and not need it...

Posted on: 1/16 1:07

From Erie Co.
I like poppers, crease flies, clousers, and streamers that imitate the emerald shiner.

Posted on: 2/9 20:00

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com