Peacock Bass

gfoledc

gfoledc

Looking for info on fishing for Peacock Bass in South Flordia, Miami or Fort Lauderdale area.

Almost all the inter-coastal water ways in that section of the state have peacocks. At least from my experience. I used to live in Boca Grande. And we had a few of them in our inter-costal.

There was book written on peacock bass all around the canals in south Florida, mostly around Miami...
This doesn't look the same as the one I had it it might have been revised...either way "South Florida Peacock Bass" by Carlos A Hidalgo

I fished for peacock bass in the south Miami canals a few years ago. Unforgettable experience. I had a fiberglass mount done of one of them.

I fished with a guide but local tackle shops could probably help. It might be tough unless you have use of a boat. They seem to be in the deeper canals with steep banks, i.e., the tough to fish spots. But there are some ponds stocked with them. Department of Parks & Recreation (or whatever the Miami version of that is) might be of help.

I fished a canal near my hotel (Ft Lauderdale) from shore but all I caught were talapia.

Back