New World Record Smallie? or...........

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Link

Got my juices flowing. I can't wait to fish me some SM Bass!
That is one heckva bass!

Sal we need to organize a Lanc warm water jam this summer.

One of the most common forms of big fish rumors and misinformation are samples done by fisheries biologists.

I've always thought this odd since such surveys are done under the aegis of an official government agency or, at the very least, with scientific methodology. Nevertheless......for sport fishermen, recycling rumors about giant fish that were supposedly sampled and "covered up" by bureaucrats (or some other conspiracy) seems irresistible.
I don't know how many times I've heard stories by locals of giant muskellunge, usually fish in the 70 or 80 inch range, being sampled in trap nets etc. Back in the 80s there was a popular rumor that a 79" (or something like this) muskie was electroshocked in the Raystown spillway.

Fish stories.

Sounds fishy :lol:. The last paragraph is telling.

That's a nice Smallie, but that's no 12+ pound fish...6-7 lb range would be my guess. The picture is a bit of an illusion because the fish is being held away from the body of the person holding it and closer to the camera...making it seem larger than it is I think.

Doesn't Bill Dance have a commercial out right now making a joke that if you want to catch a bigger fish, just hold it closer to the camera?

I think there are giant record fish out there. There is exceptions probably in every species. A anomilly 1 that exceeeds the norm. I meen really why else we goin out, if not to bring in the big 1?

If I compare that fish to the big smallie I caught a few years ago, I'd estimate it's in the 23-25" range and probably 7-8lbs. Still a FANTASTIC smallmouth, but no 12lber.

I need to do more bass fishing this year........

(had to add the picture for FI) :-D

bestfishtodate.jpg

It's a beast, but i'm not jumping on the wagon just yet.

Agreed, good size fish. Don't think it's 12#s. Would have been a blast on a flyrod.

Back