Muskie's on the fly!?

TossinFlies15

TossinFlies15

Hmm.. Well.. Thats all I got..
My friend invited me to a stream just off the conowago trail to catch muskie's that "feed like panfish" on rooster tails. Well what fun is that when I could hook up on my fly rod to make my first musky ever that much better. He said they are about 30 inch fish because the stream is a tad small and can support anything to much bigger. I would #OOPS#ume a louder popper that throws alot and a larger white wooley bugger to after that I'm fairly clueless. Anyone have any ideas or tip even to what pound I need to be at because I hear casting a metal leader isn't the funniest thing in the world :-D

actually, the metal leader isnt' bad until you smash it, and the fly, full force into a bridge piling and kink the leader.

The fly leaves sparks, too.

Fishidiot ties musky flies, IIRC, right onto a piece of bite wire. Not sure if/how he deals with kinking, though.

Pike and musky flies always seem to be really garish, with outlandish colours and more marabou than an entire flock of Jaindl's best. I'd think, without much thought, that a big flashy Deciever would be easy to cast and easy to tie, and effective.

Hahaha I like that idea. The other thing would be I have 7/8 weight line.. The deceiver shouldn't be a problem but other flies might get a bit sketchy..

Who needs other flies? Kill some chickens, lash 'em to hooks and flail away.

One pattern, different colours.

some of these...You wand to tie flies that have a big outline, but don't have much mass that holds water and makes them hard to cast.

Attachments

• P1100185.JPG
    P1100185.JPG
    518 KB · Views: 5
  • P1100183.JPG
    P1100183.JPG
    544.1 KB · Views: 5
  • P1100184.JPG
    P1100184.JPG
    501.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P1100187.JPG
    P1100187.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 5
some of these...You wand to tie flies that have a big outline, but don't have much mass that holds water and makes them hard to cast.

I see you have been around the block a few times! what size hooks are those bad boys on.? my friend tied walleye flies on an unidentified bass hook haha

gfen wrote:
actually, the metal leader isnt' bad until you smash it, and the fly, full force into a bridge piling and kink the leader.

The fly leaves sparks, too.

By the sounds of this, you may have some experience! :-D

Here's an example of one of my muskie flies with an integral wire leader (made with wire crimps). This is an articulated fly with two hooks and is about 7" in total length. The hooks are large bass hooks designed for use with rubber worms or soft plastics, the kind with a curve up at the eye for "Texas rigging." These large hooks can be purchased at just about any tackle shop in packs of a half dozen or so and the hook shape works well with a large dumbell weight.

Attachments

• Wire Leader.jpg
    Wire Leader.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 6
I tie them on mustad stainless 2/0 hooks. They are definitely strong enough. I can also use them in the salt for stripers, blues, etc.

Saturday night cant come quick enough.. Ill put up picture if it is a success. Thanks alot for everything guys

Back