Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Lunker Fallfish! (seriously)

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Fallfish are an interesting fish...I too used to be disappointed when I'd get a fish close only to find out it was a Fallfish, but I've grown to respect them....they're native to PA and highly adaptable. I've caught them year round, in little trout streams and in bigger warmwater creeks/rivers.

They have a very unique fight to them. Once you've caught a few of them it's pretty easy to tell when you have a fallfish even before you see them. In calmer water they make crazy divebomb runs up and down the water column (although they rarely jump), and in faster water they use the current to their advantage very well...don't let a big one get downstream of you where there is some good current...You'll have to walk down to get him.

I agree that they pull harder than a trout of the same size, and are right up there with smallmouth. I think their stamina exceeds both though, which makes them a handful, even after a decent fight. I had a good sized one once on a Mepps type spinner make a run and slam into one of my legs...the Fallfish got off and left one of the other hooks on the treble in my calf. When you get them close they often make diving runs at your legs...I assume they think they're some form of shelter. I'm more carefull with them now when I have one on a spinner.

Posted on: 2011/5/4 8:23

From West Chester
if carp are the "golden bonefish" then maybe fallfish are the "mini tarpon" of freshwater, although they don't jump or for that matter fight much like a tarpon, although i've never caught a tarpon, so i'm not one to say. Makes me wonder if fishing for fallfish will ever be in vogue like fishing for carp is now.

Posted on: 2011/5/4 9:14

From Altoona/Smoke Run
The guy who got me into winter trout fishing used to always refer to them as river Tarpon or Ironsville Tarpon as we always caught a bunch on that section of the little J.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 14:16

From Central PA
Caught this guy on the Little Pine last night and it reminded me of this thread. He was a scrapper, but I was still disappointed. It was the first trout of the whole day....until I saw it wasn't a trout. Oh well, still fun

Oh and the other picture was the trophy of the day

Attach file:

jpg  Image05282011180351.jpg (412.27 KB)
1480_4de306e2b9f3a.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  Image05282011191628.jpg (337.90 KB)
1480_4de30759a4e79.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/5/29 22:56

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Gettysburg
Nice fallfish Tloom - they are indeed scrappy.

I'm not sure about the little minnow. I'd guess its a dace but its hard to tell. It's too slender (and the head is too pointy) to be a chub or shiner.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 8:23

From Central PA
Yeah the glare is hard to tell but it was a shiner lol.

These little guys were nailing my sulphur the second it hit the water. I guess they were all packed up in the eddy because the water they usually swim in was raging. This one just had some bad luck i guess haha

Posted on: 2011/5/30 9:36

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

If only these guys jumped like tarpon, they'd be on the A list as a gamefish. Or the B list, anyway. Up there with pickerel, another fish that doesn't get enough love.

Speaking of pickerel, they're surprisingly good eating. But you have to skin them. And because they're bony, it's best to slice the meat off of the bone in strips. They make great fritters.

Different than fallfish, which are notoriously poor as an eating fish.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 7:46

From Pine Grove
I've made some swattie trips more of the intent to catch those monster fallfish and any bass was just a plus!

Posted on: 2011/6/5 8:46

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
85 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com