Interesting observation on my warm water creek

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

As you might know from my postings here, the Gunpowder is my home water. When I only have a little while to goof off in the evening and chase sunfish, fallfish and little smallmouth, I go to Deer Creek. It also happens to be one of the creek the state stocks with rainbows.

The wife was out for the evening, so I thought I would see what was going on at Deer Creek, even thought I usually don't fish it this early in the season. Ironically, I was talking to my brother about the sulphur hatch on Spring Creek and he asked if Deer Creek had any hatches to speak of.

I see mayflies there almost every time I am there, and I know it has the little black stones in the winter, and lots of olives throughout the year. There is also a prolific flying ant hatch in the summer, and caddis in the fall. Anyway, as I was fishing last night, there was a significant sulphur hatch - they were everywhere. Big ones, little ones - coming off like crazy. I tied on an emerger and was sight fishing to rising red breasted sunfish!

Many of the takes were subtle, and they were literally sipping the fly in - only once in a while was there a splashy rise. I had a blast.

I caught my one and only catfish on a #14 sulfur about 5 years ago. Huge hatch had every type of fish rising. On the Tully by the way.

That sounds great, the panfish should be getting into spawning mode

On the warm part of Bald Eagle Creek I've seen juvenile smallmouth bass taking sulphurs one after another.

Fallfish, too, feed a lot on sulphurs. One of the streams I fish has both trout and a lot of fallfish and it's hard to tell the difference in their rises.

The only thing is that the fallfish are usually in the slower water, out of the current.

Back