Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: I'm getting the Salt Water bug
From Gettysburg
If you don't already have one - I believe that to drive one's 4WD on the beaches along the NJ shore requires a beach buggy permit. Having always walked rather than driven the beaches I'm not familiar with this permit but I seem to recall it isn't cheap.

I'm game to do a mini JAM on the NJ shore. Keep in mind the Steelhead JAM at the end of Oct. For a trip to the salt perhaps we should consider mid Oct or mid Nov putting at least a couple weeks before or after the steelhead JAM.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 18:53

From Lehigh Valley
FWIW:
http://www.stripersurf.com/access.html
IBSP is $195 year, $50 for 72 hour.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 21:02

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

mkoloch wrote:
What are some of the typical flies you Jersey guys throw?

I mostly stick with clousers in varying sizes and colors down in DE. I mostly get out in the Indian River inlet, so small blues and stripers are on the menu.

I'd love to up to IBSP, but don't think its in the cards for this year. Don't think I have the proper equipment or flies tied for that trip.

So what do you think is better its about the same distance for me to each one ?

Posted on: 2009/9/19 13:16

Gotta love it!

Posted on: 2009/9/19 22:19

From Gettysburg
Fred,
I'm pretty familiar with both Indian River Inlet (DE) and Barnegat Inlet (NJ). Both can fish very well and are actually very similar locations but I much prefer NJ. The fishing has just been better for me along the NJ shore. Even though it's about the same drive time for me, I don't visit MD/DE much anymore. The only exception has been for springtime weakfish - in this case I'd pick DE but for autumn stripers and blues I'd recommend Barnegat Inlet. Either side of the inlet is good. I usually stay on the north side which includes Island Beach State Park but the south side on Long Beach Island is pretty good too and has more and closer jetty fishing opportunities for a fisherman without a 4WD permit. IBSP and nearby Seaside Park are a bit more rustic and fisherman friendly (and a bit cheaper) than down at LBI. If you visit LBI, you can go up the lighthouse for the scenic view of the inlet.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 21:05

From Bucks County
Its almost time.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 22:36

From Bucks County
Sorry, looks like I need a new photographer.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 22:38

From Bucks County
Its almost time.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 22:50

From Delaware Co.
Dave could you send me a pm with some good locations at Barnagat unless you would like to come with

Posted on: 2009/9/20 23:08

From Gettysburg
Fred,
I'd be delighted to show you around Barnegat. Maybe we can link up this fall. As of yesterday, the report is pretty good with lots of blufish (smaller fish 1-5lbs) and the mullet run in full swing.
Check your PM.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 8:49

From Gettysburg
Here's a link to a good tackle shop (and small diner - good breakfast!) that has a daily report on the fishing around Barnegat. While I am often skeptical of daily fishing reports posted by folks in the fishing business, Betty and Nicks is pretty accurate and realistic in my experience. They usually tell it like it is and have a good weather summary. Looks like today would be a nice day to be on the beach - man wish I was there!

http://bettyandnicks.com/fish.shtml

Posted on: 2009/9/21 9:52

From Plymouth Meeting
Been trying more of the salt the past 3 years but still have only gotten out a handful of times. This spring got out on a guided trip of the barneget bay sodbanks. Tons of fun.

Haven't had a ton of luck on the IBSP jettys yet, but do have to say i like the north side jetty better. But the walk up to the jetty can be a bit of a trudge with all the gear and korkers. PLEASE if you're going to fish jettys get some studded grips for your boots.

I've stayed at the IBSP Motor lodge. It's a good place with a swanky hotel restraunt/bar. I bit more expensive than i'd like. Just don't get out enough with my 3 year old and 5 month old daughters. Maybe in about 4 years i can put some actual time in. It's some of the most fun i've had with a fly rod as well as live lining huge bunker.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 14:38

From NE Philaedlphia
I have fished IBSP for years with my uncle. He just up and moved to Florida for some fairer weather fishing(snook, reds, tarpon) so I think that I am gonna keep going on my own and get a buggy permit this year for my jeep. In the past it has always been surf fishing for me with a good bit of success but now that I have purchased a nice new Helios 9wt, I am ready for some saltwater fly fishing. I used to go to BettyandNicks.com for fishing reports down on IBSP but the other day i was checking it and the site was down. Bassbarn.com is another good site to check out if you are looking for linesiders on the fly.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 7:35

From Gettysburg
I too noticed Betty and Nick's website was down for a couple days but it is back up now. I have been visiting their site for years and have never seen it go down before.

Posted on: 2009/9/23 9:47

From Delaware Co.
Those fish better watch out Fri I just got my New Colton
CRGII 8-10 reel in the mail with a matching spool and had my Elixer switch line and outbound lines all spooled up on the reel and spool today for my Beulah switch rod

Posted on: 2009/9/24 0:00

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
97 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com