Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

How do you tie your POPPER

From Delaware Co.
I having some cabin fever issues right now and been tying my bass flies for the summer . And figured I find out how some of you fine outstanding warm water fly fishers tie you poppers . Well when I tie mine I use a mustad kinked popper hook sorry I don't remember the the hook # size 4 though . For the body I use cork I usually and glue it on with 5 minute epoxy I color them with a sharpie but have found all natural works good too then I get some soft tex and mix it with some extra fine glitter and coat the cork. When it dries I first tie some flasabou on for the tail than some caf tail on top of that from there I tie in some grizzly hackle right behind the cork and wrap it on until I run out of hackle. Eyes are legs are optional I found that on a popper I get about the same strikes with or without the extra trimmings . I'm at work right now keeping the man down so I will try to post some pics latter

Posted on: 2008/1/26 17:46

Re: How do you tie your POPPER

From Greensburg, PA
I use the foam preformed popper bodies they sell anywhere you buy tying stuff. I use the same straight shaft hooks I tie my clousers and other saltwater flies with. Just put the hook in the groove and zap a gap (super glue) it. I found (at the chick junk jewelry store in the mall) some dollar a bottle nail polishes and clear coat. Some are cool like the black with glitter and the white pearly stuff. I use stick on eyes and sharpies for spot and gills or whatever. Some I tie with the popper part backwards and they become "sliders". They don;t make the big splash and pop regular ones do but then shoot under the surface and then float to the top...instead of snort pops they travel a little further before they come back up...these are deadly. I use whatever saddles I have or the fat parts of hackle capes (stuff I wouldn't use for anything else. I'll see if I can get you some picks in the next day or two. I had fun tying mine. The bass seem to love them...I wanted to get something on them at the beach last summer ( I tied them in july for an august trip) but no luck. I'd like to try them this spring for pike.

Posted on: 2008/1/26 19:22

From Greensburg, PA
Here you go...

Attach file:

jpg  blue popper.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  green slider.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/1/26 19:51

From Altoona, PA
You should give the Clouser EZ popper a try. The foam cyclinders you use to cut the bodies are cheap and easy to work with. Coating the body with epoxy is a good final step that makes the popper very durable. Although it's hardly neccessary. I like to use white and yellow for daytime fishing, blue and black when I am out at the last light of day (or later).

Posted on: 2008/1/27 12:05

From Greensburg, PA
I use the clear nail polish as a last coat and actually give it 2 coats of that...its 99 cents a bottle and I don';t have to mix and they have their own brush in the lid. ...I like the Clouser popper but I only needed to buy one pack of popper bodies and they were on clearance...Maybe next time...

Posted on: 2008/1/27 12:27

From Delaware Co.
Tom I like foam to but when it gets a little windy out I find that they can be a pain to get it to land were you want . Also they push more water and pop better than the foam ones . Well as promised here are some pics

[img]Photobucket[/img]

[img]Photobucket[/img]

[img]Photobucket[/img]

[img]Photobucket[/img]

Posted on: 2008/1/27 20:03

From Greensburg, PA
Those are cool...the white ones on the left...is there something inside the heads or are they done with softex or something?

Posted on: 2008/1/27 20:09

From Delaware Co.
I painted the heads with light coat of softex to give them some form.

Posted on: 2008/1/27 20:16

From SEPA
I get Fred to tie the poppers for me! He does a great job.

I use foam on mine. I had some good results last year with a gartside gurglur. I know your preference is not foam Fred, but it does work.

Bill

Posted on: 2008/1/28 16:47

From York
Second the motion on the CLouser EZ Popper. Use a marker to color them (can buy the cylinders in different colors too) and/or color in some eyes.

Posted on: 2008/1/28 19:33

From Delaware Co.
I did well with the gurgler when I went to the Delaware with Bill.. I seen some smallies ganging up on some minnows so I just casted it in group of smallies and popped it a few times and BAM.....I got 3 12 plus inchers .... I was living life

Posted on: 2008/1/29 14:29

I use either the pre-formed soft foam popper bodies or take a dremel tool to foam cylinders. I use a variety of hooks, mostly straight shanked, though I've taken a liking to the Wapsi kink-shanked popper hooks. I use permanent markers and transfer foil coloring, and I coat them with a clear flexible epoxy or varnish. Here's some pictures. Top four are preformed bodies.
The next two are shaped foam cylinders, and the last one is a foam cylinder.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/2/1 21:54

From Greensburg, PA
Those are sweet..I smell a mid summer popper swap....

Posted on: 2008/2/1 23:02

From North Catty
Tom I second that motion! these poppers look great!

Posted on: 2008/2/2 7:16

From York, PA
Wonderful poppers!! I'm sure they will all catch bass.

But ....... the problem I always have is: When you use big flies you have to also use big rods, like a 7 or 8 weight.

I like to go light, so I can use a 5 or 6wt........ same thing with trout or panfish, I like to use a 3wt.

I know I can catch bigger fish with bigger poppers, but I can't see myself using heavy tackle...... then a spin rod would be better.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 0:29

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
119 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com