Green Sunfish

bjkaledas

bjkaledas

Has anybody ever caught these in PA? I have never caught one, but they are supposed to be common. I live in Central, PA. Has anybody ever caught any there? The same goes for redears. I have never seen or caught any of them.

It seems to be all bluegill, pumpkinseed, rockbass and crappies everywhere I go. I am looking to catch something different! A blue spotted would be cool too.

Yes I have...here are three from last week. They tend to run a little smaller than the other species, but they are fun nonetheless.

Attachments

• greensunfish.jpg
    greensunfish.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3
  • greensunfish2.jpg
    greensunfish2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 5
  • greensunfish3.jpg
    greensunfish3.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 3
That last one almost looks like a pumpkinseed. Maybe it is a hybrid? Where did you catch them?

Dear bj,

I thought the last fish looked like a pumpkinseed too?

One thing about the sunfishes, they can all cross-bred and in larger lakes and rivers they often do. I've caught quite a few sunfish in my time that clearly seemed to have a couple of different species intermingled in their bloodlines.

The smaller sunfish like blue spotted and mud sunfish are pretty rare but I'm sure there are some natural ponds in the Pocono's that have them.

I don't think many of those mini sunfish are caught by rod and reel? I remember many years ago seeing a NJ F&G department survey crew on a lake in the Pine Barrens.

They were wading along and sort of digging up under the bank with long handled nets and they pulled out many small sunfish the likes of which I've never seen on the end of my line before, or since. They called out the species of them to a crew member on the bank who cataloged their catch.

The netters took some time to show some of the fish they caught to my brother and I. Some of the "sunnies" were really neat looking but all of them were no more than 2 1/2 or 3 inches long and given where they were finding them not likely to be caught on a rod and reel.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

The last one could well be a hybrid...the lake has a good population of both, or it could just be in spawning colors. They were caught in Lackawanna Lake.

"Greenies" are common in the local creeks down here in the SC. I agree thay they're small - last year I caught one about 9" which has to be the biggest I've ever seen.
They're scrappy little critters and often bite when nothing else will.

Check out this site
http://www.tnfish.org/FishIdentificationID_TWRA/TWRA_Sunfish_Identification_Key.htm

Dear beadhead,

One thing is for sure given the pictures on the site you posted, "sunnies" can probably be the same exact species and not look remotely related.

The one warmouth looked like a seabass!

I remember catching warmouth in the Chattahootchie River when I lived in Florida. I was tossing rubber worms right up tight on the bank in search of largemouth and kept getting this "tap-tap-tap-tap" kind of bite on every cast but when I set the hook there was nothing there?

Out curiousity I decided to just wait until the tapping stopped and reel in slowly. The first time I did that I reeled in a warmouth that managed to get an entire 7 1/2" Manns Blueberry Jelly Worm down it's maw and was just sort of stuck to it.

The bass weren't biting so I wound up filling a cooler up with the warmouths that did. They were good eatin'.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

You can definitely catch Greens in central PA. Best bet is to find a smaller warm water stream or small impoundment. One good spot I always found for Greens was at the bottom of spillways of smaller impoundments that I knew had Greens in them. Redears and Bluespotts are pretty rare in PA though. The four common sunfishes in PA waters are Bluegill, Redbreast, Green, and Pumpkinseed. (Along with Rock Bass and both species of Crappie too).

In moving water Redbreast Sunfish tend to be the dominant sunfish in central PA, although Greens, Bluegills, and to a lesser degree Pumpkinseeds can be caught in streams too. Impoundments and ponds are usually populated by some combination of Bluegill/Greens/Pumpkinseeds. Redbreasts are rare outside of moving water.

Sunnies are my first love, even more so than trout, and I'm a bit of a nerd with trying to ID them. All four of the common ones in PA are capable of hybridizing with one another and the hybrids can get tough to ID...not unlike the wild/stocked/fingerling/holdover trout ID debate really. I agree with Tim above too...they can become real muts after a while with more than just two species in there. It's usually impossible to be 100% certain with hybrids, but you can make some educated guesses based on their characteristics. The top two are definitely pure Greens, but I agree on the third one being some type of hybrid...Green x Pumpkinseed would be my guess too. Pure Greens tend to have a finer spot pattern and less prevalent blue streaks through the cheek area. Their tails are usually very small and narrow as well. Pure Seeds don't usually have orange in their fins and their mouth is much smaller, more like a Bluegill. Looks like a mix of the two to me. I have caught some similar ones in areas where both are prevalent. In many small impoundments Greens and Pumkinseeds will share spawning beds where as Bluegill tend to be a little more selective, and will chase other non Bluegills out.

Greens are a blast though...I think they're by far the most aggressive of the common four, and put up the best fight for their size. They do tend to stunt out in terms of growth due to overpopulation, especially in ponds and lakes. Like FI above though, I've caught some 8-9 inchers in moving water.

Swattie87 wrote:Sunnies are my first love, even more so than trout, and I'm a bit of a nerd with trying to ID them.

Hate to admit it, but I also love sunfish (obviously), to the point of throwing #14 BWO's on an 8-weight after a hatch went off while bass fishing and the bluegills started rising to them. I've even passed on trout in a local stream to throw nymphs at the sunnies holding at the tailout of the same pool. I know the feeling. In fact, I'm on a quest right now to catch all the native PA panfish species on a fly rod.

I don't think there is a single person out there who doesn't like catching sunfish. They might not admit it if they're in a group of people trying to boost their ego, but everyone likes to catch fish and if you do it right you can catch a fish every cast. Much more fun than getting skunked. Sunfish are better fighters than trout pound for pound, at least in my experience. And who doesn't love the sound they make when sucking down that fly?

Thanks for all of the replies! I secretly love them too. I mean they are relatively easy to catch on a fly rod or in general really and they put up a great fight.

Anybody ever get into any long ear? I used to catch sunnies all the time in Penn's Creek down around the New Berlin area. I always thought they were long ears, but they are redbreast as far as I can tell. I will have to post a picture of one. They are very pretty though.

bjk,

You're probably right...Penn's is in the Susky drainage so most likely they're Redbreasts. The Susky and many of her tributaries are loaded with them. Easy to cross up with the Longear since they both have that extended gill flap (ear). I don't think I've ever caught a legit Longear...they're also pretty rare for PA and are most likely only in fairly isolated populations.

This is a Redbreast, also from the Susky drainage. Their coloration varies from local stream to stream and based on the time of year too, but Susky drainage RB's all seem to have a generally similar look to them. You can tell them apart from RB's in other river systems fairly easily.

Attachments

• 06-16-11.jpg
    06-16-11.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 4
Swattie87 wrote:
bjk,

You're probably right...Penn's is in the Susky drainage so most likely they're Redbreasts. The Susky and many of her tributaries are loaded with them. Easy to cross up with the Longear since they both have that extended gill flap (ear). I don't think I've ever caught a legit Longear...they're also pretty rare for PA and are most likely only in fairly isolated populations.

This is a Redbreast, also from the Susky drainage. Their coloration varies from local stream to stream and based on the time of year too, but Susky drainage RB's all seem to have a generally similar look to them. You can tell them apart from RB's in other river systems fairly easily.

Yep, that is exactly what I catch in Penn's! Yeah the long extended gill flap is what I threw me off. Plus the longears are endangered in PA, so it would seem you don't find them too often. Those redbreasts are certainly beautiful!

BTW, the one I caught had a red dot on it's tail fin. Is that something they all have?

bjkaledas wrote:
BTW, the one I caught had a red dot on it's tail fin. Is that something they all have?

They don't all have it, but depending on the time of year and their diet some do. Some have a lot of red in their fins...very similar to a wild Brown Trout. The males tend to be more brightly colored than the females too. This is a better pic of one...might be my favorite I have ever caught. And I agree, they are beautiful fish...the only thing that gives them a run for their money in my opinion is a native Brookie.

Attachments

• 08_07_10_003.jpg
    08_07_10_003.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 3
Swattie87 wrote:
bjkaledas wrote:

They don't all have it, but depending on the time of year and their diet some do. Some have a lot of red in their fins...very similar to a wild Brown Trout. The males tend to be more brightly colored than the females too. This is a better pic of one...might be my favorite I have ever caught. And I agree, they are beautiful fish...the only thing that gives them a run for their money in my opinion is a native Brookie.

or a pumpkinseed in full spawning colors....

Attachments

• pumpkinseed1.jpg
    pumpkinseed1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 4
Back