Great Bluefish Video

F

Fishidiot

If you're hankering for some awesome inshore saltwater motivation, hit this site and scroll down to the Youtube vid "Topwater Fishing for Alligator Bluefish." It's not FFing but boy I wish I coulda been there with a fly rod (or conventional tackle would have been fine). Anyway, scenes like this are going off along the NJ shore if you're lucky and time it right. I haven't been there yet this year but reports are that it has been one of the best spring fishing seasons along the NJ shore that folks have seen in some time.

http://shorecatch.com/wp/

That vid is great.

Lots of time when blues are chasing lures like that there tends to be more than one following the plug. For the fly guys, hook up with a spin angler who can tease them into fly range and have at it. Once out of range fish, can sometime be brought in close.

Love early season blue fish. Lean and mean!

Talked to my boat owning family at the jersey shore today, and it looks like I may have punched my ticket off shore a few times this summer. Can't wait to catch some blues (among others) on the fly.

This vid has me ready to go tomorrow....

vcregular wrote:
That vid is great.

For the fly guys, hook up with a spin angler who can tease them into fly range and have at it. Once out of range fish, can sometime be brought in close.

This is great advice - the ole bait n switch. I'll use a hookless plug or tube lure to tempt cudas into fly range in the Keys and this trick will definitely bring the blues (when they're aggressive) closer to the boat or beach.

jayL wrote:
Talked to my boat owning family at the jersey shore today, and it looks like I may have punched my ticket off shore a few times this summer. Can't wait to catch some blues (among others) on the fly.

Take a light rod, like a 5, in addition to the heavier rod. If you should find yourself under a bridge and the water is filled with snapper blues, I can't imagine them not being a blast on a 5 or even 4wt rod.

As easy to catch as bluegills, and just as scrappy, but with the power of a fish that can live in the crushing surf.

I might do that. My uncle is not a FFer though... I don't know if I could convince him to take a break from a 90 mile offshore run to let me play with blues on a 5 wt, but I'll sure try! I always caught them in the chum slick while sharking, and figured FF would be fun there. Also for mahi along lobster buoys, where we usually use live bait.

Back