Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Fly rod musky.

From SEPA

Breaking the rods via spastic casting and low flying tree limbs, or smashing lead eyes into 'em?

Posted on: 2011/5/25 16:01

From "THE VILLE"
My 8wt. snapped in 2 while casting a full sink 8wt. line and 8inch streamer.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 18:18
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Nockamixon has some nice ones. I like fishing the haycock run area from shore years ago. For me a nine wt. would be minimum. I use 9,10, and a 12 wt. for musky.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 18:30

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From "THE VILLE"
Yeah im using a 10wt. I started with 1 but i broke it. My 8 was my back up broke that too. Theni got 10 back from the manufacture. 10wt's are minium just because the size of the flys needed to trigger a responce from em. You cant get a fly to big for these things.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 18:38
same.”

From York County
nice fish.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 8:00

From Lehigh Valley
Paco,
Good job, thats a great start, sorry about your rods, i think i would just use my Redinton 11 wt that just collects dust,what kind of lines? i have teeny 350 saltwater lines for my 9 weight.
Tight Wraps Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2011/5/27 9:41

From State College, PA
Awesome fish man!! I'm new to this site and still pretty new to Musky fishing, especially on the fly. So far I only have couple of low 30's in the net and have lost some really nice ones on the fly. I was a trout bum for about 20 years and my biggest issue has been teaching my mind and body to stop trying a trout hookset instead of using a stripstrike on these fish.

I'm really trying to focus on that this year. So far I've landed one and missed 3 this year. However, 2 of those were on a surface fly, so thats a whole different ballgame. LOL

Anyhow, congrats again and good luck!!

Jay

Posted on: 2011/5/30 12:22

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Jealousy... pure jealousy from those Philthidelphians. Both on the fish and the shirt.

Nice fish btw. I have it in the back of my mind to try for those one of these days, but I don't have the time to do it yet. One of these days.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 11:26

From "THE VILLE"
Hey I say jump right into it. Get a 10wt , the biggest hooks you can tye on and get use to the low flying bird coming over your shoulder every forward cast.

Posted on: 2011/5/31 15:30
same.”

From "THE VILLE"
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/6/25 23:30
same.”

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
Quote:

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Hey I say jump right into it. Get a 10wt , the biggest hooks you can tye on and get use to the low flying bird coming over your shoulder every forward cast.

I've gotten used to casting the "big boys", I regularly throw 3/0's for bass and 5/0 tandems for pike, but I've still yet to see any muskies within a reasonable casting distance, although I did tie up a box of muskie flies in case I do...

Posted on: 2011/6/26 7:19

From Gettysburg
Paco nails another muskie! Awesome. A very healthy river purebred - looks to be in the upper 30" range. Nice job.

Posted on: 2011/6/26 21:12

From State College, PA
Congrats on another nice toothy critter!! It might be a while before I get a chance to get another serious trip in. Keep the pics comin, I'll need em to survive. LOL

BTW, cool T-shirt. I'm assuming thats a Black Label Society shirt anyhow. If not, forget I mentioned anything. LOL

Posted on: 2011/6/27 9:28

From "THE VILLE"
Sniperfreak if your waiting to see a musky to cast to ur probably gonna wait a longtime. And if ya see one it probably woulnt react to your fly. A nuetral fish thats not actively moving or feeding is just that nuetral.

The only advice im gonna give is if your serious about catching 1 you have to DEDICATE yourself. I have only trout fished once since the 1st day. The guys I musky fish with we eat, sleep and live to fish forthem with a fly. And know we are going to endor long periods between action wether its a follow, stike or hook up. The long periods between fish make you appreciate when they decide to show themselves. But also crush your spirit when you miss 1 . That is the mindgame we play. To me these fish are worth ever ounce of effort, sweat and to me are the utimate challenge.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 19:54

Edited by PACOFRANSICO on 2011/6/29 20:38:10
same.”

From State College, PA
I agree with PACO. You gotta go all in for these fish. Sure, you might get lucky and hook one while your out fishing for other species, but you really gotta put some serious time in to get shots with any sort of consistency (if there is such a thing with Musky). LOL

Even though I live just minutes from some of the best trout fishing in the East, I still can't get myself to chase them much anymore. Musky are in the blood now and even if I don't see a fish on an outing, I'm still learning more for the next trip. Even just talking about it gets me fired up enough that I'm ready to leave work right now and go after them!@!

Best thing to do is try to get on some "numbers" water if you can. Once there, cast away to likely looking areas and pretend like you have a fish following or ready to hit on every cast. The second you lose focus is when that fish will show up, and thats a fact. LOL

Another cool thing is that I get to practice different things with casting techniques as there can be a lot of time between fish. I'm still not the greatest caster, but it has improved tremendously since I started chasing Musky. And most importantly, have fun and enjoy the hell out of every trip out. The fish will come and the knees will be shaking!! :)

Posted on: 2011/6/30 9:50

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com