Fly Rod for Smallmouth....and other warmwater species

thebassman

thebassman

Hey Guys,

I am wondering what weight of fly rod you guys are using while targeting river smallies. I recently broke my 8wt (stupid me) and am looking to replace it. I purchased an 8wt when I lived in MO because we would fish farm ponds of big large mouth.

I do not know if I want to replace it with another 8wt. The reason is it seems like the size of fish I have been catching has been going down. I am not fishing a high quality smallmouth stream (Neshaminy Creek), but keep telling myself one day I will take a trip out to the Lancaster area, or somewhere else that has some quality fish.

My current rod line-up is a 7'6" 3/4wt and a 9' 5wt. I fear that the 5wt might be a little undergunned for some of the flies I throw to smallies.

You think I could get away with a 5wt for fishing streams for smallies? At the moment the fish I am catching range from 10-12inches. I am wanting to get a kayak to fish the Delaware because I have yet to find a decent area to wade near my house.

I guess the advantage of an 8wt is it opens the door to hitting other species of fish that a 5wt could not handle on the delaware, or even just messing around at the shore.

what do you fish with for smallmouth??

For river smallies I like to fish a 7 wt because of the heavy or wind resistent flies. I've used a 6 wt and a 5 wt at times too, but I prefer the 7 wt because it corosponds better with the size and weight of the flies I'm tossing.

I generally recommend 8WTs for folks looking for a bigger gun as it's a bit more versatile if it's going to be your biggest rod. With that said however, I prefer a 7WT for most of my river bassin these days.

I fish a fast 6 for streams and an 8 on the river. I sometimes feel undergunned with the 6 (big flies, or big fish in current) but never really feel overgunned with the 8. I like to throw oversized flies and land the fish quickly. Plus in the river you get a mixed bag and i have caught muskies, pike, and big carp while targeting smallies so the 8 is nice to have.

8wt. That way i can throw smaller muskie flies with it. It also as a little more *** to push flies and fight fish better. I also carry a 10wt for the big boys.

i use a 10ft 7wt.

7wt for slightly larger rivers(yough) and 5wt for the medium sized streams I fish close to home. With the 5wt, I never have to cast more than 50' and im always fishing smaller flies(6-8 zonkers or 8-10 foam bugs). I freaking love the medium stream fishing with the 5wt. The fish are slightly smaller(10-16"), but they are so much fun on lighter tackle. Fishing smaller flies isnt a bad idea for smallmouth. I have downsized my offerings a bit over the last year or two and i like the results. Much more fun to cast than the 2/0 clouser with 10lb dumbell eyes.

On the Delaware and in lakes/ponds, I use an 8wt due to the size of the flies. In smaller streams, I will go with my 5 or 6wt.

Smallies are my main target; and it really comes down to the rod and line combo. I fish a 9'-6" 5wt Sage Z-Axis. It is a fast action rod with a ton of back bone. It handles most anything you'll ever throw for smallies. That being said pairing up a good line is the other part of the equation. I highly recommend Rio's coldwater Clouser. It has a heavy front taper the loads the rod fast, and makes a size 2 deer hair popper feel like casting a size 6 hopper. I've experimented with a lot of other lines to date, and this is the best all around. This set-up is effective at 10' or 80'; it's all up to your casting ability. I do use my 8wt from time to time on the occasion that I know I will be hooking up with larger than average fish, but these are truly special moments and places. Lastly; a good leader recipe makes a big difference as well, and Lefty Kreh has plenty of info out there on that subject.

Thanks for the input. I may go with an 8wt so I have the ability to fish for some other species as well.....now....to find some good wadeable smallmouth streams!

I think you should also consider what type of fishing you're doing too. If you're tossing big meaty flies on big streams/rivers then yes I'd recommend an 8wt or a long 7. If you're fishing small poppers, nymphs, smaller streamers, on medium streams then a 6 would do. Now this is all assuming you're JUST using it for this purpose. If you want it to do other jobs like salt, steelhead, etc, then factor that in.

I agree with what^^^ Ryan^^^said. If you plan on primarily fishing medium to small creeks I would go wit a 6wt. An 8wt weight would work but won't be very enjoyable. Alot of the time I use my 4wt when fishing for creek smallies.

I could get away with my 5wt for throwing the smaller poppers and streamers, but when I do want to chuck some meat I would like a bigger rod. Getting an 8wt (possibly a 7wt) gives me the option to eventually target musky, attempt salt, and go after crap....I mean carp. Plus when I go back to MO to visit family I could throw to those farm pond largemouth.

Ideally I would own a rod from 2-10wt and they would all be equipped for various applications, but I feel that the 6wt would be to close the the 5wt for me to honestly justify at the moment.

Just make sure you cast them before purchase. Even take some of your extreme flies (both large and small) to test cast with the rod. everyone's casting stroke is different. so what cast horribly for someone else will be the ultimate weapon in your hands.

Good luck and enjoy!

I have a 9' 7wt Loomis trilogy 3 piece for chasing bass with, it's handled any size hair bugs, heavy streamers I've tried very well.

bassman .. I used my 6wt last summer and enjoyed it. It handles small poppers well and i had fun even though I caught smaller smb on small streams like the Nesh and such

You, I and few others of the Bucks contingency need to explore the Deleware btwn Newhope and Yardley this summer. My wife likes b/ I won't be gone all day as I am when I go trout fishing

Stagger....I would love to explore the D there as well. Is this something you can wade, or do you need a kayak?

bassman, no clue. Never fished the De so we are going to have to put a group together and hopefully some will have some knowledge amd be off to the races.

Back