fly fishing the Jersey Shore

S

steve98

thinkin about getting a fly out fit to fish the surf in nj,
wild wood LBI cape may etc.

I was told not to waste my time and money.

i don't care what i catch

just thought it would be cool to wade in the surf flip a few flies around and maybe catch a fish or two

any comments would be appreciated

thaks
steve98

who in their right mind would tell ya not to ?????

get a mid to tip flex 9' 9wt rod, and decent lg arbor reel and intermiade and a sinking line some 20-40 lb. leader material (anything on the stiffer side will work) some deceivers, bobs poppers, clouser tied on 1/0 to 3/0 hooks. Add a shooting basket (a must) learn to double hall and go for it..

Steve,
Whoever told you you not to waste your time either doesn't know what they're talking about or isn't a fly fishermen and has only watched FFers get skunked. If you've never fished the surf, it's a seasonal game. I'd wait until late April. May is better. The autumn months are best.
If you do a search, there's been quite a bit of discussion here about the NJ shore in recent months.

search terms Salt water Jam!

i have a strong feeling its going to be a good spring with this warm winter.Probably around early to mid April. They have been catch fish all winter in Jersey and New York. For your first time i would try to hookup with someone else who know a thing or to about the surf. Its a whole new game from casting, finding fish, structure and flies. I would go with a 9 or 10 wt rod but get a reel with a smooth drag and a sinking line i like lansom waterworks reels. LBI is the way to go for fly fishing. For spring your gonna need big patterns like 7 to 10 inches. Bass are gonna be more bait feeders but blues will hit anything and they fight harder. i hope to get down there a few times this spring. Spring = BIG FISH. let me know im always looking for someone to split gass money with.

Marc

Back