Fly Fishing for Smallies in the Slippery Rock PA. Area

S

schwatk

I am a fly fisherman from San Diego, CA.. My wife (who also fly fishes) and I will be out in the Slippery Rock area late July and early August for a Medieval War at Coppers Lake Campground. We hope to get out a couple of days for some smallmouth bass fly fishing. We don't have smallies in Southern California. We are both strict C&R fisherman. We were hoping some of you would be willing to share your knowledge regarding places to try, what color and type flies to use. Or anything else you think might be helpful. I wouldn't expect anyone to give up their honey holes of course. Can anyone suggest a good or any fly shop in the general area too. Thank you for any and all help!

Take care!

Joe

Joe,

Slippery Rock creek which will be very close to you is an excellent smallmouth fishery and you may even get into some trout. There is a stretch of fly-fishing only water within a reasonable distance to your campground. Streamers like wooly buggers and fur leech patterns work well as do Clousers in chartruse and white. Wading can be a little hairy depending on water volume and they don't call it Slippery Rock for nothing!

Good luck!

Jeff

Back