Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fly Fishing For Carp

From Upper Bucks
Looks like a platinum koi... got a few in the pond.

Carp generally have to be actively feeding to hit a fly. Sight casting is tops for targeting carp.
Check out Carp on the Fly by Barry Reynolds and Brad Befus.
A lot of good info.

I get some really strange looks flyfishing for carp. Last time out, a cop stopped by and asked me if they stock the pond with trout.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 12:58

From collegeville, pa
most of the time you are stripping it across the bottom so make sure your fly is tied so it rides hook point up....

Posted on: 2012/9/6 16:44

From Jefferson Twp

Posted on: 2012/9/6 17:11

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Boyer,

I noticed last weekend with the sinking line that a few fish would see the line and turn the other way which would spook any nearby fish in the pod.

I also had a few bump into the line and do the same. I think I am going to abandon the sinking line. The water I fish is only 3-4 feet deep anyway. A sink tip may be fine, but full sink does not seem to work out too well.

I plan to try the floating line tomorrow and see if it makes any difference.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 12:36

I've never caught a carp on a fly. I have been fly fishing for a long time, mostly for trout and smallmouth bass. Nevertheless, I would like to learn more about fly fishing for carp.
I see carp, when I am fishing for smallmouth on the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers, some of them are monsters. Problem is they see me way before I see them. They often bolt from the shallows leaving a trail of silt. From the old Glendon bridge over the Lehigh River, I have seen carp so huge that if possible to catch on the fly, it would convert the most dedicated dry fly trout purist for sure.
Considering the many years that I have been fly fishing, I have never heard of anyone having great success catching carp on the fly in the Delaware and Lehigh rivers.
Perhaps, opportunity is knocking.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 14:07

Edited by RichFishbelt on 2012/9/7 15:02:50

From Clarion co.
I've been fly-fishing for carp for some time and the best advice i can give you is to know the body of water you are fishing. presentation is more important than pattern. Also do some research on Barry Reynolds. He knows his stuff.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 16:29

Agreed...they spit the hook crazy fast. Also did very well on the Tully this year, espeacially in late winter and early spring. Fished a nymph called the Sugar Daddy (tco website) and let it sit in the back end of deep pools. Some of the carp had suprising size, loads of fun to catch, espeacially when you cant feel your hands and feet:) Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/9/7 22:52

From York, PA
Quote:

Yikes, what im about to write might get me banned. Here goes.

Use corn.

Use bait to start with and catch a few.

You bad boy!!!

We only use dyed chicken feather flies on this site!

Posted on: 2012/9/8 0:33

From Clarion co.
I agree with 1wt, maybe dick around with corn and get a feel for the fish. strip setting is very important as well. Side pressure when fighting them helps keep a better hold on them.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 1:12

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com