Flies for samllies and Carp

P

Panchon74

what flies, paterns or reciepies of flies are good for smallies and carp. Pictures would be helpfull.

Mario

SAMLLIES ? :lol:

Either he is a crappy typer like me or he's been hanging out with your squirrel...

Smallies!!!! Sorry! Sorry! And aside from being a crappy typest, I was also trying to hurry and post.

hay at least I did not mess up on carp, that would have been crap!!! :lol: :p :-x

Anyhow, here is an answer to your question. For smallies, I use a deer hair popper, wooly buggers (mainly black, olive and white), black ghost (streamer) and crayfish. Have caught them on other flies but those are my bass flies when fishing for them.

Carp I use nymphs, wooly buggers and crayfish.

This is my first year fly fishing, but this summer I have caught several bass with foam poppers (they're easier for me to cast on a lighter leader than the heavier poppers), woolly buggers, minnow imitations, and terrestrials. The poppers are the most fun to me.

Chartreuse over white, olive over white clousers, foam poppers, black wooly buggers, and crayfish patterns in orange/brown have been best for me. If I had only one fly-charteuse over white clouser.

I like using pretty much everything thats been said. But crystal buggers are my very very favorite for smallies.

I've caught 3 carp ever on my fly rod and 2 were on dries during a cahill hatch and one was on a black wooly bugger. The dry fly ones I just crept up on them made about a 20-30 foot cast and let it drift right too them. With this question its making me want to go back after carp the next time on the susky. I found a spot the other week with more carp then I've ever seen in a 200 yard stretch with a lot of them rising during a late evening hatch.

Sounds like it's most of the same flies that are used for Large mouth bass here in texas, except maybe downsizing a little on the hook size, Ok. I thought that carp would only bite on stuff that looks like corn for some reason. I have pleanty of buggers and clouser's. Now all I have to do is go find them. That is the easy part. Thanks very one for your input.

Mario

In streams and rivers that have them try hellgramitte and crawfish patterns

For carp try small crawfish paterns and big nymph paterns I usually use size 6 or smaller ...... :-D I caught this onon a clouser crawfish size 6

On rivers, here in the West, I choose my flies for smallies depending on the time of day and weather usually.........
Early morning..............it's almost, always, woolly buggers in black, dark brown and dark gray.
Mid day.......... it's always bright colors, i.e. yellow, yellow/red, red, orange and yellow/orange combos.
Evening, to me, is "magic time" when I switch to poppers, either cork, deer hair, or foam and all in bright colors for the "leg feathers",
red, yellow, orange and white. Same colors, matching or in a combo of colors, with the "leg feathers" and the popper itself.
If it's less than perfect weather.........cloudy, raining, threatening to rain, etc. I'll fish woolly buggers all day long, from early morning to nighttime.
"How to fish" these poppers and buggers I use the Bob Clouser instructed methods. If you'd like a really good idea, about how he does this, visit midcurrent.com and click on the link-"techniques" then scroll down to "Fishing for Smallmouth". it's a very informative article!
Good luck!

I love that little stretch there Fred, It hold alot of nice smallies and some monster carp.

:) I really do love that creek!!!

My favorite smallmouth flies are:

Fur leeches in all black, dark brown and occasionally in olive in sizes 4-8 (Mustad 9672). Black is by far the best producer, IMO.

Murray Strymphs, again in black, brown and olive and in the same sizes as the leeches above. Dark Brown and Black seem to produce equally well for me.

Murray Hellgrammites in 2-8.

All the flies above (again IMO) are at their best when they are NOT actively retreived, but rather allowed to drift very slowly past instream cover. I simply try and move them fast enough (by simply lifting the rod slowly..) to keep them off the bottom. Takes with this sort of fishing are pretty subtle, but you get the hang of it fairly quickly.

I also use Clousers (particulalrly in water that is a little off-color) Clouser crawdads in rust, olive and tan, an occasional tan or olive bugger, Shenk's minnow and Waterman's Silver Outcast streamers (a charley waterman variant on a silver doctor that was in one of Harry Murray's books. But for my money, the dark leeches and strymphs outfish any of these flies by a considerable margin.

Two flies I'm pretty high on over the past few years are Tim Holschlag's Hackle Fly http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp?page=2

and this Estaz minnow I found at Riversmallies.com (actually another Harry Murray fly called the Marauder)
http://riversmallies.com/flies/murray_marauder.html

I use poppers in low light periods, but they too (for me at at rate) do not produce the numers or size of bass I catch on the leeches and strymphs. I believe smallmouth poppers need to be one size smaller than what you think they should be.

I know this may sound batty, but smallies will hit on larger caddis larvae imitations (esp. bead heads) dead drifted in rivers and larger streams. I have had an amazing about of success with green caddis sizes 12-14. I'm amazed at how even very large smallies will go after these nymphs!

I've also had some luck bending a long-shanked, foam-bodied hellgrammite. I twist the throax upward on the shank and make it look like the bug is defending itself. The near-enuff crawdad is fantastic too!

For Smallmouths back in the good old days, all you would need to do is strip a Bugger or Clouser, or fish poppers on the surface to catch tons of fish. Now too, I find that drifting nymphs or leech imitations the most productive way to catch fish. A size 8–12 BHHE, or a size 4-8 stone fly nymph (w/ rubber legs), dead drifted and swung through the current at the end of the drift works well. Also a good Hellgrammite or leech pattern fished same way seems to save the day. I use a brightly colored leader butt to follow through the drift.

Yeah -- rubber legs, particularly this year, have been deadly!

Back