fishing for Pike

echuck66

echuck66

I'm going out on a boat tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers about fishing for northern pike.

I have a bunch of flies that the local fly shop recommends, plus some mice, leaders and tippet for 'toothy critters', etc.

What I'd like to know is at this time of year, what are the best hours to find them and what techniques do you use that are most successful?

Now is the time to do it. Maybe another few days and the window of opportunity will close for shallow water pike. Big pike don't tolerate warm water and will be moving deep, if they haven't already. I usually consider mid to late April as the end of this time frame but this year has been colder.
With that said, use large colorful streamers close to cover. If you can find a cove with weeds starting to emerge or a tree blowdown, these can be good spots - and you might see or hook a muskie as they're in the same habitat and, in my opinion, will stick around in shallow water a bit later into mid May. Pike are known to be mid-day feeders - no need to wait to dusk. I wouldn't bother with the mice. Stick to big, flashy streamers - make long casts and fish fairly fast. The key is to cover a lot of water.

How'd yuh make out - any luck?

Back