first outting.

brain

brain

made it out to the creek for the first time this year.
well to actually get in it. i've been out a few times just to get temps and clarity reports for my log book.
the entire rig is new this year. i had been using a vest since i started, this year i down sized to one of those around the neck pouches. also down sized the rod. i had been using a 9' 6wt, now it's an 8' 5wt, with a new reel and line as well...i like s/a stuff.

i figured with that many firsts i wasn't going to have the best day. and it wasn't the best, but the new rig now has fish to it's credit. no pix as i didn't take a camera along. water levels are still above average, and i wasn't sure if i'd have my algee legs along. the creek is still colored despite the now rapidly dropping level. probably going to get a waterproof camera.

the old st croix 6wt was/is pretty lite, but this 5wt st. croix is like holding a feather. didn't even notice the shorter length of it.

a few redbreasts were brought to hand, admired, and returned to the creek. hoping the water sorts it's self out soon, i like it crystal clear....erra well as clear as it gets.

Good info. I was considering taking tomorrow off to fish it, but knowing she's still a little cloudy I think I'll make the 3 day weekend with Monday off instead...give it a couple more days to clear up and drop a little more. I like it clear too.

Debating between WW and HT sections.

Glad you made it out and caught a few.

fyi they are doing bridge work on blacks bridge. and i don't know why, but the WW access has been getting mobbed every weekend for the last two weeks or so. it's only early june and all the "trails" are well trampled and more then wide enough.
i'm talking 2-3 cars at the bridge, and the "main" lot full.
thursday morning(today) there were two other cars there at 9am.

Wow, that's crazy. I've seen other cars in the lot before, but never full, and I'm not sure I've ever seen cars at the bridge. I've never actually seen anyone else fishing there. Always just guys/gals walking their dogs or launching or taking our their yaks. I was leaning that way and will probably drive by there first and see before deciding whether to go downstream to HT. Hopefully it will be calmer on a Monday.

it would appear your gamble has not paid off.
less than a foot to seven feet in less than 6hours. i have been shoot in the arse before, but it still sucks.

brain wrote:
it would appear your gamble has not paid off.
less than a foot to seven feet in less than 6hours. i have been shoot in the arse before, but it still sucks.

Yeah, it looks like I rolled the dice and lost one that one. Was at Pocono yesterday so I kind of wanted to take today off as a recovery day anyway. I'm gonna get some breakfast, wash the truck, then maybe see about hitting a smaller trib. They should be back down my now. You're right though, main stem is shot until the end of the week probably.

What was Nascar thinking trying to go up against Le Mans? :lol:

Ended up not making the drive to any of the tribs. I drove over Chiques Creek on the way back from taking my buddies that were out for the weekend/race back to the train station in Lancaster. Chiques (which is usually a trickle at this location) was very high and muddy still. Didn't want to risk the 45 minute drive to a couple of my favorite spots just to find the streams unfishable. Went to Stoever's for an hour or two and caught a few Pumpkinseeds and Greens that were in full spawning colors, along with a couple small LM. All on black BH Buggers fished deep. No surface activity, water was still very cloudy. Also caught a 12" catfish on the Bugger...weird. Not too keen on my catfish ID, but I assume it was a Brown Bullhead. Put up a great fight against my 4wt though.

made it out agian for the second time....well i'm calling it the second, as the real second time isn't worth a mention.

i like the morning fish. so i found myself on the creek just after 7 this morning.
i'm not real happy with how the old creek is clearing up. it's been dropping pretty good, but still has a fair amount of color to it. not sure if there is something going on farther up in the mts.
try as i might the fish just are not looking up yet. i annoyed a few smaller panfish into eating my slider, apparently just to get rid of it.
i have found that a yellow bugger works well in less than clear conditions on the creek, and today was no different. as soon as i admitted defeat with the cork and started working the mid depth the fish seemed more inclined to play along.
no bass yet, but just about everything else clocked in.
not sure the shorter rod and lighter line was the right move. maybe one or the other. i seem to have lost some distance and accuracy. of course i was using a 9' rod for the better part of a decade. so three times out with the new rod maybe a bit to early to judge it.

would have liked to gone out this evening, but with lebanon's fire works right across the street from me. if i leave the house anytime after 4pm, i'll have no place to park when i get home.

Same story for me last week. Got out for an hour or two after work near WW. Started with dries but no success. Switched a BH bugger and picked up a few sunnies.

There was a blip on the guages from those storms the other day, that could possibly explain the stained water a little. She was clear with 2 to 3 foot visability when I fished her last week.

sooner or later we're liable to cross paths out there.
as that has been about the only place i've been getting to.
but with 16hr days forcasted for the next 14 days i doubt it will be soon.

Likewise on my end...busy weekends through mid July and no days off during the week coming up either. We may just have to plan a meet up.

was out agian, but the flock of drunken kayakers ran me off after only an hour or so.

i would like to get out this evening. dark and early monday it's off to chambersburg for the week.

Back