first fly rod carp

M

melvinthefisherman

fly fishing is not normally my method by I do try it occasionally. I havnt caught anything on it this year and thought giving carp a shot wasn't half bad being that most trout streams are more than an hour from me. so I fished a spot where I have caught many carp on spinning gear and was confident in finding fish.

so I decided after work tonight to give the fly rod a spin down in carp creek. there is an area that is well light up and holds fish and I suspected they feed on bugs. I sneek up on the fish and I drift the fly and on my first cast !slurp! and I set th hook on a nice carp who I battle for what I estimate 10min on my what I believe to be 4wt. I landed him and added another species to my fly rod lost. I estimate the carp to be 4-6lbs.
PART_1405562323613_zps6ntduvru.jpg

PART_1405562363088_zpsh7b0q874.jpg

I then continue fishing without much luck including snapping off a fish until I stick another fish and land him a baby this time only a pound or so. overall it was a good hour and a half of fishing after work.

PART951405568564327_zpsnlbt1rfb.jpg

thanks for the tips guys, I hope to report back with some smallmouth or largemouth from a local creek.

Congrats!! That sure must have put up a great fight on light tackle. I got my first on the fly about 4 years ago, but I still remember it like it was just yesterday. They are definitely the most challenging fish I have ever targeted on the fly. It's rewarding in the end though...

Definitely a great job hopefully it will the first of many for you :-D

I'm dying to get one on the fly. I've been trying with no success. I will get one before winter sets in. There is a small school of them that hang out just on the other side of the river from where I live. Several that roam there are in the 30 lb class. Nice fish, glad you had fun, and I'm jealous.

Congrats. Nice job on your first carp on the fly. They can be very challenging but are just a whole lot of fun.

Back