Finalized Regulation Proposals For C&R Smallmouth on the MAC

M

midgeman

Terrible news for smallmouth fishing

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/pdfs/2011ProposedRegulationSummaryforInlandFisheries.pdf

Thanks for the heads up Midge. I've long hoped the MD DNR would expand the C&R sections of the Potomac/Monocacy rivers. To be honest, I doubt that this change will have all that bad an affect on the river but I still think it's a step in the wrong direction (although it would simplify the regs making 'em easier to enforce and understand by casual anglers).

At least MD has some C&R areas for smallies. I don't believe PA has any - and to make it worse we encourage folks to kill 18" SMBs in rivers. :-(

I am with you too fishidiot. I have hoped for years that the DNR would expand the regs all the way to Harpers Ferry. I fish mainly above the mouth of Monocacy and do very well. However, I'm just curious as too what effect keeping the smallies in the c&r area will have.

We once had a C&R area on a stream in SW Pa, Dunkard Creek. It did nothing to improve the population or size distribution. As with trout, if harvest mortality is not exceptionally high special regs won't work.

Back