Double handers and Muskie?

D

DJBerg

So since i really cannot afford another high dollar stick, i will be adding another use to my already multi tasked 12' double hand rod. weight ranking wise it's a 11.5wt, it likes a 510gr airflo rage and i also have a afs outbound 12wt 510gr s3 line 36' head(just happened to stumble across it on sale at a new fly shop i was at a few weeks ago, the day after i was playing around with my buddy eric's 9wt mystic tremor).

so my thought process is going some thing like this, my rod is big and definitely heavy, i can single hand cast it but it would kill me after a few hours. so my options are this for right now, i can shoot the afs outbound line double handed over head spey style and that will definitely move some line, having the lower grip you can pretty much yank the line out of the water hard enough to load the rod decently and then while the rod is loaded, go to a skagit style launch by using the lower grip to ultra load the rod n launch. which works for some big flies but have not tried it with a dead chicken yet.

my other though is since my 27' 510gr rage head works great for a scandi style fishing, what about flipping that around backwards narrow taper at the running line, heavy part of the head to the fly and running a piece of mono to a braided steel leader to fly. kinda hoping this will give me a more skagit style head casting scenario.

any thoughts? other than i'm crazy like usual. :-x

Nate Luke did a little short film of Brad and the MCO guys on a overnight float. At the end of it it shows Brad overhead casting a 11ft Beulah 2 handed surf stick. Watch that. It's on Vimeo.

well i suck, i'm ussually prety good at finding crap online but no dice on that one...

a 2handed rod is going to give you a lot of trouble... you are better off buying cheap single hand than struggling.

- stripping in the head, it is an extremely PITA to get it back out the rod for the next cast. 36' or 27' head will still put the fly 45'+ (min) from your feet when you are ready to cast.

- spey casting a backwards head won't work... you need you wt at the top of the d-loop to power everything... not sitting on the water.

yes people have messed with the surf rods... but that really only gives you an advantage in a boat.

a properly paired single hand setup with good tech is a much better tool

thanks paco, i suck... yeah exactily what i'm talking about with the outbound line! though a skagit caster would give him hell n tell him to keep his upper hand still, but that is such a hard habbit to break! believe me i know...

i was thinking maybe getting ahold of steve godshall and seeing if he could build a skagit head(22-25') integrated into a switch line vs the loop to loop connection.

DJBerg wrote:
thanks paco, i suck... yeah exactily what i'm talking about with the outbound line! though a skagit caster would give him hell n tell him to keep his upper hand still, but that is such a hard habbit to break! believe me i know...

i was thinking maybe getting ahold of steve godshall and seeing if he could build a skagit head(22-25') integrated into a switch line vs the loop to loop connection.

Call Tightlines Fly Shop in NJ and ask for James he will be able to assist you in everything you would need in regards to two handed rods and lines . I bought a 8/9 Beulah Surf rod with line from them last year and their customer service was second to none .

http://www.tightlinesflyfishing.com/

Thanks fredrick, one day when im down in Allentown for a holiday ill have to take a drive over.

Back