Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Disappointing Pre-Spawn....Will Summer be Better?
From Gettysburg
There's a window of time from about mid March to about late April when I like to hunt big pre-spawn smallies. Early spring fishing often produces my best fish of the year. Obviously, this year was mighty tough with the constant rain and high water. I did get out a few times and had some luck (including a very large fish that threw the hook) but most days I got out the fish wouldn't cooperate....at least not in the spots I usually expect to find them. Part of it was likely timing: in the early sping, in my experience, dropping water temps are the kiss of death. Although my local waters warmed faster than I'd expected, on the days I got out, there had usually been passing fronts and even a drop of just a couple degrees in water temps can completely shut down spring smallies. I may get out once more if things settle but usually by the end of April I lay off bass in the bigger waterways until June (I do chase smallies in small creeks in May since I usually don't see spawning activity in most of my favorite little creeks).
Whatever the case, it's been a disappointing spring for bass fishing.

Last year was interesting. By contrast, I had one of my best pre-spawn seasons last year perhaps due to the low water. Strangely enough though, the summer fished very poorly for me last year. Will this year bring a reversal? Hopefully.
Here's hoping for a great summer bass season.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 9:01

Re: Disappointing Pre-Spawn....Will Summer be Better?

From North Central PA
Amen!! Hear, Hear!! I have NOT been able to fish for smallies yet. The NB Suskie is totally NOT condusive to wading... for at least another 3 weeks. But when it gets wadable.... LOOK OUT!

I have a fistfull of streamers to huck: Bolivian Chickenbats, Anokpeas' Buggers, Emerson Hough Bucktail Streamers, Fat Head Minnow Flies, and god know what else I can create in my labratory of fur and feathers.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 16:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com