Disappointing Pre-Spawn....Will Summer be Better?

F

Fishidiot

There's a window of time from about mid March to about late April when I like to hunt big pre-spawn smallies. Early spring fishing often produces my best fish of the year. Obviously, this year was mighty tough with the constant rain and high water. I did get out a few times and had some luck (including a very large fish that threw the hook) but most days I got out the fish wouldn't cooperate....at least not in the spots I usually expect to find them. Part of it was likely timing: in the early sping, in my experience, dropping water temps are the kiss of death. Although my local waters warmed faster than I'd expected, on the days I got out, there had usually been passing fronts and even a drop of just a couple degrees in water temps can completely shut down spring smallies. I may get out once more if things settle but usually by the end of April I lay off bass in the bigger waterways until June (I do chase smallies in small creeks in May since I usually don't see spawning activity in most of my favorite little creeks).
Whatever the case, it's been a disappointing spring for bass fishing.

Last year was interesting. By contrast, I had one of my best pre-spawn seasons last year perhaps due to the low water. Strangely enough though, the summer fished very poorly for me last year. Will this year bring a reversal? Hopefully.
Here's hoping for a great summer bass season.

Amen!! Hear, Hear!! I have NOT been able to fish for smallies yet. The NB Suskie is totally NOT condusive to wading... for at least another 3 weeks. But when it gets wadable.... LOOK OUT!

I have a fistfull of streamers to huck: Bolivian Chickenbats, Anokpeas' Buggers, Emerson Hough Bucktail Streamers, Fat Head Minnow Flies, and god know what else I can create in my labratory of fur and feathers.

Back