crappie on the fly? Oh Yea

L

limestoner

Yes it can be done, crappie on the fly. I tied up some flashy #2 patterns, along with my canoe I headed for my local lake, the crappie were holding in the trees laying down next to a channel. You simply jig for them and wham they came to the fly. Lost a lot of flies but caught 8 fish biggest 14''.

A light fly rod is great for catching crappie. I think it's preferable to the average spinning rod for a few reasons. Its long enough to dabble in tight spots thus avoiding casting. You have the ability to cast very light, very small offerings which i think can be critical when they get picky. Once you get a good cast into the brush you just leave the same amt of line out and the casting is easy.
For flies i like using those little jighead fly things. i know you can get them at cabelas or bass pro. It's just a really small jighead. I like the 1/124 best. Tie some rabbit fur off a zonker strip or marabou on with 2 strands of crystal flash and you're in business.
Panfish are very overlooked in my opinion, especially this time of yr in my part of the state. Most of the trout in this state are panfish sized anyway and you don't hafta cram into crowded special reg areas to catch panfish. Plus they taste great, if you're into that.

I hear that Tenkara works great for crappie fishing. :lol:

10 or 12 simple white marabou streamer with silver body is a very good crappie fly.

and they are excellent fried with a light cornmeal dusting and a little hot sauce!

I love to fly fish for crappie every spring. They don't seem real picky, just about any small streamer will work.

I agree with bikerfish, went to a local lake Tuesday evening and brought home a couple. I'm mainly a C&R fisherman, but if I run into some nice perch or crappie some are comin home!

There's a lake near me where they LOVE terrestrials in early summer. it's a blast.

One of the first flies I learned to tie about 50 years ago was a small white calf's tail streamer with a silver tinsel body and a red head (we used nail polish). My father's favorite crappie streamer. Tie them small, and fish them slow.

Buggers, streamers and even dry flies in a snowfall once. Love crappies on a fly. Been doing it forever...I still think Bluegills fight way harder but hey, whatever's biting...

FarmerDave wrote:
I hear that Tenkara works great for crappie fishing. :lol:

I think in the south they call those "Bream poles"... :-D

or cane poles-lol
The only place I have ever seen women fishing by themselves.Creeks down south,using cane poles.catching dinner.

Crappie have been a part of a couple of early season Grand Slams I've had. Once on Ontalaunie Lake and once on Bald Eagle Creek. The slams included some interesting fish. Both Crappie species, a trout, LMB, blue gills, sunnys, I think a SM. All on the same fly, my pearl jam.

The classic old Mickey Finn tied town on a size 12 streamer hook is an awesome Crappie fly.

Yes I had a blast for two days, yesterday can't buy a fish, the water surface temp. went from 53 to 64 in one week , no crappies in the cove so we fished all along the edges of some other coves and main lake points, nothing, The Bass were shallow and a lot of them, most were in pairs, I think they will spawn early too, counldn't get any on crappie flies, wish I brought some crayfish patterns, Lake Marburgs water was gin clear to 30 '' . Its a rough lake sometimes its good and then it can shut down overnight,

Tomgamber... Since your from my neck of Westmoreland and seem to enjoy FF'ing for Gills and Crappie too , like to know if you would be interested in sharing each other's favorite spots.. I am always searching for public or for that matter private ponds where permission is granted.. Feel free to email me if interested
DRFAS2@aol.com

Thanks

Frank

Thats the one fish I have not been able to catch yet on a fly rod is a crappie. Not sure of areas around me but will keep searching for them.

FarmerDave, tenkara is indeed a great method of fishing a fly for crappie. In fact, the rod is very much like that used with a classic telescoping crappie rig. The length of tenkara (the model I use is a twelve-footer) allows you to place a fly very accurately between flooded trees or in pockets within weed beds. The short level line allows you to work slowly, at crappie speed.

Here is a photo I took during a trip on Thursday, April 19th:

http://tenkaratakesmanhattan.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/harlem-meer-black-crappie.jpg

And yes, dc410, a small Mickey Finn may be the BEST crappie fly of all, with nymph patterns coming in a close second.

:)

Back