Chincoteague report

PSUFishMenace

PSUFishMenace

Fishing started off slow this week, but ended on a high note. Caught just about everything except flounder which have apparently totally left the back bays and moved into the ocean. Rented a kayak today, paddled a couple miles with the outgoing tide and stopped to fish a little along the way. Within half an hour I landed a foot-long puppy drum on a red and white clouser. I was so happy I basically stopped trying, sat back and enjoyed the surroundings and beautiful weather. My dad fished some more as we made our way to the takeout point. He ended up with two croaker on a shad spoon tipped with a minnow. Great way to end the fishing part of the vacation!

I only got two fish on the fly rod this year, but that puppy drum alone is better than the five little fish I got last year. The other fly rod fish was a big ugly toadfish. On spinning tackle, I caught 2 white perch (I think), 2 sea bass, 2 bluefish (each only 4"), a toadfish, and a 10" puppy drum. All those fish took the spoon tipped with live minnow dropped next to pilings and under docks. Crabbing was amazing as well.

Overall it has been a good vacation, great food, beautiful beach, and much needed R&R. As for the fishing, the fish and weather conspired against against me at times but in the end I feel like I made the most of what I was given. I'd like to thank you guys for your pre-trip advice, even if conditions never required/allowed me to apply your suggestions. I'm still looking for that first flounder on the fly but it's hard to be disappointed when they simply weren't around and nobody else caught any. Next year! :)

Sounds like a great time, i miss the beach...

caught hundreds of oyster crackers when I was a kid,fishing the Chesapeake but you sir deserve a salute.Caught one one a flyrod.awesome. lol

Back