HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: carp
From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
A good place to catch carp is at the York Haven damn, on the Susquehanna in York county. They are swimming below the dam dicharge in the back waters all the time in summer there's enough that you could snag them, like I did one day while spin fishing. The carp ran and my rod bent and my lure came flying at me with carp scales on the hook. I stopped there today, I live ten fifteen minutes away. Right at the corner of the power plant where the Conewago flows into the river to meet the water flowing out from the turbines, you could see a definate line of stained muddy water from the Conewago, and unusually clear water flowing out from the dam. I walk the catwalk to the upper end of the dam and could see down 8-9 feet in a slack water area even with the wind blowing with my polorized glasses on. And the water coming out of the dam is very oxygenated, has a blueish color to it. Makes me wonder if there might be a big trout or two somewhere in the river in the winter. I almost want to take my camera there tommorow with a polorized filter to take some pics of the outflow and water seem of clear and cloudy water merging together, fish, sometimes like to feed just inside or outside of the murky water. But seriously I could see freshwater clam shells way down there today in the clear water I think the clearness is attributed to the ice in the river and ice/snow melt with the warm weather break we had. Wading at the dam is difficult unless the water is low.

Jake,

A few years ago when I was searching for the remaining bass in the river with a tube jig and spin rod I spotted a fish tailing through a riffle accross the river from York Haven at Falmouth. I made a few long casts ahead of the "tail" and each time I was behing hime until the fourth cast when I guess I got it right. I got hung up and then the drag started to sing. He took me across the river to the last layer on the spool, over 100 yards. I fought him for over a half hour before bringing him to me and my buddy. By then it was dark and it was swimming around us still out of sight. I kept telling Mike it was a big, big fish. He kept saying lets see it. Finally it came to the surface right between his legs in waist deep water. (you do the math on that one) He gilled it and held it up.

HOLY CRAP.....it was 3 inched longer than my arm with my fingers extended. A later measurement of that estimate was 36" It weighted about 20#.

Then I put the spin rod down and started catching 20" catties on white flies in the light s of Brunner island. When the river gives you lemmons, you make lemonade.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 22:45

That's what I'm talking about! I look forward to that action!!

Posted on: 2009/2/6 8:59

Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Quote:

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
A good place to catch carp is at the York Haven damn, on the Susquehanna in York county. They are swimming below the dam dicharge in the back waters all the time in summer there's enough that you could snag them, like I did one day while spin fishing. The carp ran and my rod bent and my lure came flying at me with carp scales on the hook. I stopped there today, I live ten fifteen minutes away. Right at the corner of the power plant where the Conewago flows into the river to meet the water flowing out from the turbines, you could see a definate line of stained muddy water from the Conewago, and unusually clear water flowing out from the dam. I walk the catwalk to the upper end of the dam and could see down 8-9 feet in a slack water area even with the wind blowing with my polorized glasses on. And the water coming out of the dam is very oxygenated, has a blueish color to it. Makes me wonder if there might be a big trout or two somewhere in the river in the winter. I almost want to take my camera there tommorow with a polorized filter to take some pics of the outflow and water seem of clear and cloudy water merging together, fish, sometimes like to feed just inside or outside of the murky water. But seriously I could see freshwater clam shells way down there today in the clear water I think the clearness is attributed to the ice in the river and ice/snow melt with the warm weather break we had. Wading at the dam is difficult unless the water is low.

Jake,

A few years ago when I was searching for the remaining bass in the river with a tube jig and spin rod I spotted a fish tailing through a riffle accross the river from York Haven at Falmouth. I made a few long casts ahead of the "tail" and each time I was behing hime until the fourth cast when I guess I got it right. I got hung up and then the drag started to sing. He took me across the river to the last layer on the spool, over 100 yards. I fought him for over a half hour before bringing him to me and my buddy. By then it was dark and it was swimming around us still out of sight. I kept telling Mike it was a big, big fish. He kept saying lets see it. Finally it came to the surface right between his legs in waist deep water. (you do the math on that one) He gilled it and held it up.

HOLY CRAP.....it was 3 inched longer than my arm with my fingers extended. A later measurement of that estimate was 36" It weighted about 20#.

Then I put the spin rod down and started catching 20" catties on white flies in the light s of Brunner island. When the river gives you lemmons, you make lemonade.

And who says catching carp is like bringing up dead weight!! I was really looking forward to going after them with some mulberry flies in June on a local stream where I located a mulberry tree. Unfortuneately last year I broke my leg! I I'll have my chance this year though!

Good story Maurice!

Posted on: 2009/2/6 10:47

From Twenymile to Turkey Creek
When the fisihing starts to wane I break out the eight weight and visit the local waters for Carp. Carp flys may produce more fish but i have learned to be ready for anyting. I have hooked them on #20 dry flys only to have the hook straightn and they get off. Mike OBrien published some flys same years ago and they all seem to work although Carp are as fussy as a hard fished Brown some times.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 8:30

From Bethlehem
I caught a carp last year's opening day (SE) on a yellow wooly....I saw him hit and thought I was in for the fight of my life but he just stayed in the same spot and barely put up a fight...Could this be because water temp was still fairly cold??

Posted on: 2009/3/3 15:36

I am new to the group i thought i jump in too.

Carp are extreme fun on a flyrod. I have caught two small one on corn flies or numphs. Both on the Conewago Creek. One on the numph was a complete surprise after all i was trying to catch redeyes on a 6 wt switch rod.

jcspey

Posted on: 2009/3/3 20:05

I live in Chester Springs, ZIP 19425, near Marsh Creek State Park. I went to the Marsh Creek Lake a few times but only caught a few small fish. Any one knows a place within an hour or two from 19425 that I could get big ones - carp, trout or bass? Thank you very much.

If you have information, would you mind letting me know how to get there. A map would be ideal: e-mail: freewangpj@yahoo.com

Regards,
Phil

Posted on: 2009/7/6 21:48

I always hear that crayfish imitations work well, and this thread seems to confirm that.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 22:20

From Pottsgrove area
I tried for at least an hour today to hook one of these 5 big carp that were hanging around a stump, I Couldn't get it done. I'm going to bring some saltwater clousers tomorrow.

I was fishing for Smallmouth, and one came out from under a stump, and scared the crap out of me! I threw the whole box at him. They would follow the wolly booger, but would not take it. I think a cone-head WB would work better.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 22:37

From Potter County
Smaller black BH wooly buggers have been working for us on the Allegheny. By smaller I mean #12.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 8:12

From New Providence
I've had good luck with carp using a wet pattern that resembles a kernel of corn. A yellow egg with a tiny piece of shot above the hook works well. Only problem with this seems to be nuisance fish striking it a lot.

While on the water, keep on the look out for overhanging mulberry trees. Carp will gorge themselves on the falling berries, and a purple mulberry imitation pattern works well fished dry or wet.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 12:26

From Pgh
Carp are awesome. I wish they took a fly more readily. I've only hooked a few in my 30+ years of fly fishing and they all were hard fighters and memorable experiences. While fishing LAke Arthur in western PA I have seen some carp that would easily go 20 plus pounds every year in the shallows during spawning time. MONSTERS. The thought of hooking into one of those bruisers with my fly rod sends shivers down my spine.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 13:50

From Mount Joy, PA
Not my fly, but a product of a Google search:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Looks pretty tasty!

Posted on: 2009/7/31 15:13

From Pittsburgh
Carp flies in general are not typically huge, so leave the salt water clousers behind! Clouser Swimming Nymph's, Wooly Buggers, any small crayfish type pattern, Bonefish flies in brown's and black's... all typically work well. If they are "clooping" then dry fly's will work as well.

I highly recommend the book referenced that started this thread, great piece of education and you walk away with a much better understanding of it all

My biggest mistake was getting frustrated trying to target cruising carp that really were not feeding and you have very little chance of hooking up with.

It is so much like fishing for bonefish just with brown water and bigger fish! Total Carp addict now. Added bonus is that you can often hook up with some great cats while you are targeting carp and again, good size, great fight!

Posted on: 2009/8/1 20:44

From Delaware Co.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 5:51

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
30 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com