Carp Spawn?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Has anyone ever fished the carp spawn on Lake Erie tribs?

JH

Not on purpose. But yes, I've fished there when the suckers are up the creeks in mass quantities. (and I'm not talking about the fisherman either).

I've witnessed the carp spawn at a local lake before and can't for the life of me remember when it was. I wasn't fly fishing at the time either. I was hoping to find it again this year but they drained and dredged the lake and I'm assuming things will all be messed up for a while there.

flyfishermanj wrote:
Has anyone ever fished the carp spawn on Lake Erie tribs?

JH

Carp spawn or do you mean sucker spawn?
Catching suckers gets old after a couple fish. They turn your leader into a gooey string of snot. However, some of them do rget pretty darn big.

On the other hand, I've never seem many carp in the tribs. A few, but not enough to make me want to go there to target them. But. I usually don't fish all that close to the lake either.

Kev

Kev,

I know about the sucker spawn, I believe its close to being full swing by now. Had a gentleman tell me about catching carp up to 10 pounds in late April/early May during the carp run on Elk Creek. Was wondering if anyone tried this?

JH

The carp spawn is just getting kicked off in local lakes... not sure about erie tribs though. Think thats mostly suckers.

Back