Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Carp on the fly

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Nice!

As far as overplaying them, it's possible to overplay any fish, but as a general rule fish from the minnow family (especially the larger ones - Carp, Fallfish, Chubs, etc) are pretty tough. If you're concerned about overplaying a bigger one, just switch to bigger tippet. Tie on some 10-12 lb mono or something like that instead of the 4x...that should give you some extra muscle/confidence in the line to land them a little quicker.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 7:43

If I switched to 12lb, I think my 5wt rod is breaking before the line does. I would fish a 3x-2x, but I have read that carp are super leader shy, so I assumed to go as thin as possible.

Trevor, I fooled him with a crayfish imitation that I dead drifted. Somehow the fly came completely unraveled during the fight, but atleast the hook endured(thats what I get for ordering off internet sites). I was originally landing beautiful presentations on some tailing carp about 35' away and slightly upstream, when I noticed a silt cloud about 15' away and slightly downstream. I knew I was embracing my inner ninja, but I didnt think a fish would swim that close to me. I gathered my line in and casted about 6' ahead of the fish to allow my fly to sink and he saw it right away and went for it. The water was crystal clear so I got to see the whole thing pretty clearly. I think I was fishing for 3-5 minutes until I hooked up with the fish, so a pretty rewarding trip.

After I landed this fish, I couldnt see another carp along the stream, so I got out and drove 3 minutes to another stretch of stream I prefer for smallmouth. Has anyone stayed to see how long it takes a spooked carp to return to feeding etc.?

Posted on: 2011/9/15 11:28

From Soon to be colorado
Does anyone know how well carp bite during the cold winter months. I read somewhere that they pretty much shut down after october.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 21:29

Just from my self-education, it is certainly possible to catch a carp in the dead of winter. Probably not the easiest angling pursuit, but they do feed. I have read of several hardcore carp guys catching them in every month.

I have a koi pond(3,000 gallon so nothing huge) and they slow down when the water is below 55. I feed them very little each day when it is cool like this, but they are eating.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 18:47

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Have a guy come up last Feb. and wanted to fish only thing open was marsh creek where the fed. fish station runs water into marsh. they tapped a glacial lake 10'000 feet down and runs a constant temp. water never freezes where it flows..he hooked a carp on a crayfish pattern that ran up stream under the ice and cut his leader. I see em daisy chaining and feeding there all time..

Posted on: 2011/10/24 20:05

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Pittsburgh
Like any warm water species, their metabolism slows so they aren't as active and the fight they put up when hooked is significantly less "spirited". You can catch them but it's more difficult and I prefer to chase other species through the winter and return to carp around April.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 15:51

From Bozeman, MT
We do a lot of carp fishing in Montana. I wasn't into it when I lived in PA and would catch them from time to time by accident, but now I'm hooked. Our carp fishing is all site fishing which is a blast. We even get some great carp fishing on dry flies when the fish move into big eddies to slurp insects off of the surface. Carp also love crayfish and sculpins so we use a lot of crayfish flies or bonefish patterns that sink fast. The idea is to cast upstream of the fish and let it drift down and then strip it like a bonefish retrieve. You can check out an article on fly fishing in Montana for carp which isn't really unique to just Montana.

Also: here is a link to a you tube trailer for a carp fishing show that we did with Trout TV that will air in February. One of our head guides, Sean Blaine is the guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRQb9EQqKY

I still make it back to PA from time to time so I'll have to find some new carp honey holes back home for my next visit!

Posted on: 2011/11/4 13:24
www.montanaangler.com

If anyone is interested in carp flies I've got a few up on my site which is in large part dedicated to Carp Flies.
I can get you what you want on the best hooks, with weed guards. if you don't see what your looking for, shoot me an e-mail...I aim to please. I highly recommend crayfish patterns, Black Ops, and various other leeches, buggers, and nymphs.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 15:57

Your rough dub craw and carp zonker look like really great flies.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 17:26

Yeah, all the "carp crack" like flies can be dominate. I have done best on inverted hook patterns like the crazy charlie, gotcha, carp crack etc. I have no idea what it is about these flies that makes a carp attack them, but it is a curious thing to watch carp dart at them. My favorite fly of the summer was a size 10 charlie in tan. It just looked like a ball of hair, but carp nailed it. I had a carp take 2 weeks ago when we had that weekend in the 50s. I totally botched the hook set though. I was really thinking sunday was going to have some possibilities, but this weather put an end to that.

Anybody have any carp ties for small wild grapes? The stream I fish has several patches of wild grapes and I have seen carp pile up around these vines to whack any fruit that falls. I noticed this twice while fishing for smallmouth(before I decided to give carp a go) and never went back to these spots to try for the carp. Do they make a purple mcflyfoam or globug yarn? I figure I could do a globug immitation over a tungsten bead so the thing sinks like a grape.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 23:17

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I learned plenty about this last year with a coule of my fishing buddies. My 1st time out I was skunked. 2nd time I caught and landed 3. My advice is simple:

First you need to spot them feeding (look for smoke trails).

Once you find a feeding fish just cast about 5-6 feet in front of the fish and let your fly sink and rest on the bottom for a minute. Have patience.

Once the carp is close enough to the fly start stripping in short and slow strips pausing a bit in between. Have patience.

When they grab it, hang on and have fun!!

I use the backstabber fly last year with great results.

Posted on: 2012/1/25 12:33

I never understood why fly fishing for carp hasn't picked up here on the upper allegheny. It's alot like fishing for red fish and they are smart! They are not the dumb brutes they are made out to be. I fish for them alot during the summer and man is it fun.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 15:16

From walnutport
i would love to start to fish for carp, i live in walnutport pa. can someone guide\direct me to a good place to fish for carp?

Posted on: 2012/12/21 10:54

From Portage, PA
I gave a few crayfish paterns to a guy I work with to test on small mouth. They ended up catching 15 carp on the things. This one was a mammoth and weighed 35# and broke the guys 8 weight fly rod. Flies were just dead drifted past carp they had seen. The carp would just swim over and suck up the fly. I still have yet to land one yet unforunatly.

Attach file:

jpg  New_Image_13934854_std.jpg (49.32 KB)
3478_50dded643a624.jpg 388X678 px

Posted on: 2012/12/28 14:06

From Ferguson Twp.
Ok, that would be a very large fish to land on fly tackle! Wow, had to have been a blast.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 17:26

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
151 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com