Carp on the Fly

1wt

Check this out, my fly fishing friends.
Crank up the volume and watch the "Legend of Fly Carp Fishing" I do the same thing in the Susquehanna...... but I don't put my fly rod behind my neck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IflkFD25nD4

hope you don't use a 1wt for carp ;)

No!! I use a 8wt with floating line!
The 1wt handle is only for tiny sunfish and tiny trout.

Awesome!

I'm heading out tomorrow to try to land some "copper kings". Can't expect any that size, but then again, you never know. I've hooked a few that have dragged my kayak across the lake though.

I hope to find some risers eating mullberries. Carp on a dry fly is just the biggest kick for me.

peace-tony c.

The Japanese are in a world of their own did you see were he put the reel in the water to add more drag .

That was a really cool video. I had no idea that carp surface feed like that. I wonder what they were feeding on? Do they feed on the surface like that here in PA too?

Well, my search for rising carp was successful and I landed five, the largest around 28". One was caught on a small bugger with the hackle trimmed off the top and bottom, a trick I learned from a fellow fly fisher yesterday. The rest fell victim to mulberry flies (various shades of green and brown deer hair spun and trimmed).

The last carp of the day was a monster that took the fly after many attempts. He/she was spooky and must have seen/touched the leader on a few casts. As I was ready to head back to shore, it rose again and I dropped the fly a foot in front of it. The lips sucked in the fly, I set the hook and the water EXPLODED! Took me on a ride, as I lost my anchor earlier in the day. It pulled me around for a while then started heading for cover. I put more pressure on the rod and...CRACK! My 8wt snapped at the top ferrule. I tried to hand line it, but it was too large, so i got it as close as I could and cut the line. Luckily, the rod has a lifetime warranty, but I don't have a back up so the "copper Kings" are gonna get a break from me this summer.

peace-tony c.

Toney great day you had :-D . If I can get out and you can meet me half way I have a 8 wt you can borrow :cool:

What kind of rod was it ?

Sorry bout the rod. Breaking it on a big fish is a better way to go than smashing it in a car door!!!

Fredrick,

The rod is a St. Croix, so it's under warranty. I'm sending it back Monday and they said it shouldn't take longer than two weeks.

Thanks for the offer to borrow a rod, but since I'll be working almost every day for the next two weeks, I won't have time to fish anyway.

David,

Yeah, breaking it on that fish was definitely better than losing it to a car door. That's the first (and hopefully the last) time I broke a rod.

peace-tony c.

Fredrick wrote:
Toney great day you had :-D . If I can get out and you can meet me half way I have a 8 wt you can borrow :cool:

What kind of rod was it ?

Tony,

Sorry to hear about the rod. I have a couple of 8wts that are mostly collecting dust if you need to borrow one. I've been meaning to get my boat out and paddle over to the mulberry bush again. I still have several berry flies that I haven't used for a while.

Maybe we can meet up sometime there. I'll have to check my boat and see if I my launch permit is still active. I get 2 year permits but can't remember if it's my tandem or my solo boat that needs a new one. Have you tried a drift sock instead of an anchor? You might still get pulled around a little...

I've managed to bust every St. Croix rod I've owned (all 4 of them). One I bust 3 times. One has been sent back a couple of times and 2 I've repaired myself (since I built them myself). I like the rods, but no longer build on their blanks.

Tony,

That is a fantastic carp day. To land that many fish and then hook into a monster truck like that is fantastic. You must have been shaking your head the entire way home!

Pittflyguy,

When I hooked the "monster", I had already been on the water for 6 1/2 hours. The whole days events didn't really sink in until I got home and sat down with a beer. Then I couldn't stop thinking about "the one that got away". The best part is I now know there are some big carp in that water. I'd been fishing for them there for a few years, but in that time I only saw one I would call a "monster'...correction: now I've seen two :)

peace-tony c.

[color=0000FF]I wonder what they were feeding on? Do they feed on the surface like that here in PA too?[/color]

Almost every night there is a hatch on the Susquehanna. The vid looks like big white flies. A size 10 extended tail white drake seems to catch pretty good.
From now until late Sept, the abundant carp should be feeding on the hatch every night around twilight. Only a few years ago the smallmouth would rise for the white flies....... but those days are gone, carp are still here.
When life hands you a lemon...... make Lemonade!!
I'm now a dedicated "Carp" angler!!
Try it, you'll like it!
Always Catch & Release....... and no stinkin' bow fishers!!

All I seem to get on those twilight hatches are catfish. Might have to scout around for where the carp hold (during daylight hours)and see if I can't target them during the hatch.

I used to enjoy casting caddis to rising carp on the Tully when I got tired of refusals from the trout. It's been a couple years since I fished there. This thread has me thinking I might need to do some scouting for carp...

Back