Carp on the Fly!

NoMoreCornChuckin

NoMoreCornChuckin

Been seeing alot of posts about catching carp on a fly. Went to Speedwell Forge 2 weekends ago and caught MY first 3 carp on an olive wooly bugger. Hooked several others and lost them. They were very eager to take the bugger and I was pleasantly suprized. I was also surprized Sal or Sasquatch haven't been out there yet,...or maybe they have. The stream, as it wandered through the old lake bed had alot of carp in it, especially up in "The Flats" closer to where the stream entered the lake. If anyone from area wants to try carping on the fly, I recommend the old lake bed at Speedwell Forge.

What tactic do you use while fishing the bugger? Do they take on a dead drift or do you strip it? I've looked longingly at some of the two foot (plus) carp that inhabit some of the local mud hole stocked ATW, but with the amount of fisherpeople and the low, clear water of opening day, there was no chance in getting them to take a fly. Would love to land one of the on a four weight :)

I was standing on a stump at the waters edge and had a great view from above, I would locate a carp, cast 10 or so feet upstream and let it dead drift towards them about an inch off the bottom (small split shot) and when it was about a foot from them, I would very slowly and gently give it a tiny twitch, not even a twitch but more like a tug, they way a crawfish might creep along the bottom? They would suck it right up. many of them totally ignored it though, it was fun though.

Back