carp...on a 5-weight?!?!

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

I know there have been a few "accidental" carp catches on 5-weights, but do enough people really use a 5-weight for carp for Rio to make a 5-weight version of their carp fly line? I use a 7-weight and still feel under-gunned...what kind of insanity would drive a man to specifically target carp with a 5-weight!?!?

The biggest carp I caught last year was caught on a 5 wt outfit. It wasn't really "accidental" as I did intentionally cast to the fish. I was not actually targeting carp at the time. I just happened upon a pod of big carp and that was the rod I had with me. I definitely felt undergunned on that deal while pushing that rod to point that I never had it before or since. Last winter I bought a Cabelas Three Forks 9' 8wt which is my primary carp rod now. I love that rod for carp with plenty of backbone to lean into and turn 'em when you absolutely have to. I would never intentionally target carp with my 5 weight at this point.

Accidentally hooked one on a 4wt once. Once I realized what it was when it made that initial run with its back breaking the surface of the water I just pinched the line and let it break itself off.

Most 5 wts could probably handle the occasional carp, but I agree a heavier rod is probably the right tool for targetting the biggest of Chubs.

Agree that a 5WT is too light. However, here in PA we tend to think of carp as big fish in streams and rivers that make long runs past rocks and cover. There are places in the mid west and West where carp are targeted in open lake bays requiring delicate presentations of small flies and where the fish can run in open water with fewer snags (at least I see this in magazines featuring FFing for carp). I suppose in those situations a 5 could be fun. By the same token, there are salt guys who use a 6WT for stripers in certain places - something I can't imagine doing where I typically fish.

Personally I don't target carp much but when I do a 8-9WT suits me better.

I think in some situations a 5wt would be appropriate for carp. I know of a creek where all of the carp i've seen have been on the small side and most of what you catch is going to be smaller bass and panfish. I think a 5wt would be great for that situation, but that probably doesn't warrant a specific line.

I've caught several big carp on a 6wt and an 8wt. I didn't time the fights or weigh the fish but it seemed to me like i landed all of them in about the same time. IMO it's more about tippet and drag strength if you use the equipment properly.

Marketing at its finest. I can see it now....{{{{"WoW....they make a 5wt fly line for CARP! WoW....I have a 5wt! WoW...I'm gonna go buy some Rio Carp line and go carp fishing. NOT!}}}}} I would have to say that there are certain 5wt (i.e ..REALLY fast rods) that would be able to handle smaller carp and the occasion mid size fish. The real question shouldn't be "Can it handle fish" it should be can it throw the "RIGHT" flies effectively cast after cast. If it can't get the fly on target when it counts then what's the point cuz all your gonna do is spook the fish with errant casts and get frustrated.

id say it depends on the size of the body of water and current of the stream. I hooked one on a five and I would day it pulled me into the backing but it wasn't about being out guyed. I was using 5x and I have a crappy reel. if you have a reel with a smooth drag its probably fine.

there are spots where I fish that have monster like 20 and 30 pound carp. I have snagged them on hooks intended for shad and I would prefer to have heaver gear. when I try this spring im going to bring an 8wt

I typically fish for carp with a 5wt. I have used my 7wt too, but prefer the 5wt. I rarely get into a carp over 10-12lbs, so I dont feel undergunned. The problem with the 7wt is its too heavy handed. I fish 12' leaders with the 5wt, and subtlety is the name of the game for me on my local streams. My 7wt NRX is just too fast and powerful for the stealth thats required. I am beginning to think my local carp suck compared to the carp i hear about on here and in the mags. Mine give me one 25-40' burst, and that is about the extent of it. They can be pretty lame for such a large fish.

but then again, you never know...I work with a guy who insists that he uses a 3-weight in the salt...

Back