Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Brunner's Island

From Mount Joy, PA
Well, I made it out today for an hour or so (at that point I couldn't feel my fingers anymore). The water clarity was poor and the flow was up due to the recent rains. The bait guys were getting some 20"+/- catties and stringin' em' up. I tossed Clousers until my fingers went numb and made a hasty retreat to the car. Fingerless gloves work for a while, but even they have their limitations.

Ambient temp was 17 upon arrival and 21 upon leaving. It was butt cold with a 10-15 MPH breeze which only made matters worse. Always nice to get out, but it was a tough morning. In reality, too cold to have any success fly fishing as trying to cast a stiff line doesn't work well. Proud to say I took a skunk today.

I'll definitely be back to Brunner Island, albeit when the ambient temp is at least above freezing and the water level drops some.

On a side note, the water did feel good!

Posted on: 2012/1/15 11:33

From York, PA
wgm,
You have courage to make it out today with the super cold weather.
I was there three days ago at the last of the warm spell. The water was up and the vis was only 1". I fished hard with black woolybuggers and didn't catch anything. The bait boys were catchin' with liver and worms.
When the water clears up a bit, I still think that Clousers / Buggers will catch just as good as bait.
I'm pretty sure that the commish stocks small channel cats (8" to 12") in the Susquehanna a couple times a year. Maybe Maurice knows? With the decrease of the smallmouth bass, the channel cats are a wonderful thing to catch on a flyrod. Many times at Brunners, Saginaw, or Wrightsville I would have a ball with the abundant channel cats and a 5wt.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 23:56

From Mount Joy, PA
In retrospect, I'd say it was more stupidity and a desire to wet a line than anything. It was so cold that stripping line meant wet hands which in turn froze. Sometimes I should use my common sense a bit more, but I'm always up for a challenge.

I look forward to getting back to Brunner to fish, so let me know if you want to wet a line sometime. I bet those catties are quite a blast on a 5wt!

Posted on: 2012/1/16 14:03

From Dallastown, PA
I am not aware of any channel cats being stocked. I think they breed pretty prolifically though. And they are a nice fight even on a 7 weight.

During the white fly its always good for a few 20"ers.

When the water clears try drifting white, gray or brown buggers near the bottom. Fish them like a tube bait.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 19:49

From York, PA
During the white fly its always good for a few 20"ers.
When the water clears try drifting white, gray or brown buggers near the bottom.

Thanks, Maurice.
Three years ago, a guy told me that a truck filled with small channel cats is dumped into the Susquehanna at both ramps at Wrightsville and also above Rockville. He saw it with his own eyes. And many times I have seen small muskies in 6" of water at the John Write Store in Wrightsville. I asked about that and folks told me that they stock the Susky with small 5" muskies every year. I was also told the walleyes are stocked in the river. I don't know where they would grow the fish? I thought you would know. But yes, the catfish and carp seem to be thriving in the semi polluted river. I caught a few carp on a fly...... this year that's what I'll go after with a fly rod.

Yeah, the White Fly hatch used to be a wonderful thing. Ten years ago smallmouth bass...... now channel cats?

I drifted some fine woolybuggers near the bottom at Brunners for a couple hours, but not a stinkin' hit. Then I went to my car and got a spin rod with half a night crawler on a small jig head and ...... a dozen small channel cats!!
I can't understand it? My flyrod is really striking out this year. Everybody only uses bait now..... I hope this isn't messing up us fly rod guys.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 0:35

From Mount Joy, PA
I would expect bait fishing to outfish the fly for catties any day of the week. I found an interesting read on how they feed: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/09 ... ish-fishing_gf_aa076502a/

Maybe if you could "sweeten" up your fly a bit with some scent they might like flies better.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 10:34

From York, PA
Maybe if you could "sweeten" up your fly a bit with some scent they might like flies better.

Good point. I forgot all about the scent thing.
I see a new "fish stick" scent that looks like a chap stick tube...... I'll have to check it out.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 0:59

From Mount Joy, PA
Perhaps fishing so close to Brunner Island isn't such a good idea...

http://lancasteronline.com/article/lo ... -a-top-U-S--polluter.html

Posted on: 2012/1/18 11:42

From York, PA
Yeah, a bad idea indeed! The whole Susquehanna is really getting me depressed.
The infected fish (over 50% of all the fish I catch in the river now) I caught at Brunners a couple days ago:
I shouldn't put my hands in the polluted water anymore..... and I used to wet wade! It's no wonder why I'm so crazy?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Posted on: 2012/1/18 14:37

From Mount Joy, PA
Shew... Looks like chocolate milk!

What kind of fly is that?

Posted on: 2012/1/18 16:36

From Marietta, PA
Poor fish. I've heard reports all along the river that more and more fish are becoming sick. Their decaying bodies make me sick. Several years ago I would take my 3 kids out to play in the Susquehanna. Not now.

By the way, wgmiller, I've got 3 years on you :)

Posted on: 2012/1/18 19:41

From Dallastown, PA

Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
Shew... Looks like chocolate milk!

What kind of fly is that?

looks like a chicken liver...

Posted on: 2012/1/19 23:33

From York, PA
looks like a chicken liver...

No, Maurice, it was a small chunk of a night-crawler! 1/4 of a big fresh Canadian night crawler!! I tried liver, both chicken and beef, but it won't stay on my hook. LOL
After a couple hours tossing Clousers and Buggers without a hit....... I get frustrated and grab my spin rod with live bait.
wgmiller gave me a tip with the scent on flies. Next time I'll scent up my flies and try to catch a lesion infected fungus catfish!
I won't touch the sickly fish, but take a pic and release with forceps.
The mighty Susquehanna, my how it has changed.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 1:01

From York, PA
I fished Brunner's today from 3 until after dark. The water was cold and only warmed up at dark??
Not even the bait boys caught today. One guy told me "the environmental wackos wrecked this fishery"
It used to be warm all the time in winter, but now they only turn the warm water on every few hours. This stinks because the few fish that were left would come miles to stay in the warm 60 degree water. Now they hide in deep holes and wait for spring.
No prob for this guy!!! I am tying some neat BH Pheasant Tails and some Chez nymphs with a modified split shot! It took me a couple weeks to perfect this fly....... so I can't post pix for fear that the trout population might go down if it's released!

Posted on: 2012/1/25 2:41

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com