Brownliners rejoice

Fredrick

Fredrick

Orvis has just made brownlining mainstream first they were sending out ads in the mail with people doing a grip and grin with carp and now this new book .

http://www.amazon.com/The-Orvis-Guide-Fishing-Carp/dp/1939226007/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371895202&sr=8-1&keywords=fly+fishing+carp

Are you kidding me? Did you see the photo on the cover? Looks like the guys is releasing that carpus into a pristine New Zealand river! GET REAL! The water should looks like old coffee with two creamers. Maybe a tire in the background, and either a condom or a syringe floating nearby.

DaveS wrote:
Are you kidding me? Did you see the photo on the cover? Looks like the guys is releasing that carpus into a pristine New Zealand river! GET REAL! The water should looks like old coffee with two creamers. Maybe a tire in the background, and either a condom or a syringe floating nearby.
Yep

I like carp fly fishing... I find them to be more challenging than trout on most occasions.

I always think its weird to see carp in clear water like they have out west.

They must be good eating out there.

DaveS wrote:

Dave you need to go fishing .

Books really good im about half way through it already and got it yesterday, I would recommend it anyone who wants to fish for carp

For those of you who knock it, please continue to do so and stand elbow to elbow fighting over a 12 inch stockie while the rest of us who live on the other side walk miles of river fishing for 15lb spooky, selective, and challenging fish that can remind us why we paid money for a machined fly reel with a stout drag system and plenty of room for backing! (yeah... backing, that's the dacron stuff under your fly line that most of you haven't seen since it was spooled on for you at the fly shop!

And yes... I am aware that was a run on sentence!

a bit late

"brown-lining" went mainstream like 4 + yrs ago when it was in the wall street journal and Forbes

No in 2008 it was called taking a dump in regards to the market.

Hoping to get out to hit my local carp spot sometime soon. I'm going to toss my musky flies at the mouth of the stream too to hopefully get lucky.

Funny thing is, you don't have to "brownline" to fish on carp. There are plenty of "trout streams" that have resident carp populations. The fact that they can thrive in crappy water makes them good candidates for degraded waterways, but they certainly can live just about anywhere.

After tying into one this past weekend, I can say that I will be making them a focus of future warmwater trips. To see my 8wt bend like that....yeah. Good stuff!

Amen WG!

slumdumb wrote:
a bit late

"brown-lining" went mainstream like 4 + yrs ago when it was in the wall street journal and Forbes

Most didn't get that memo

I like stepping on trout that are daintily sipping tricos to cast at 10 pound carp. The reaction from trout guys is absolutely hysterical... but seriously when its 90 degrees out its a good idea to give the trout a break and target carp, bass and other ww creatures.

I like stepping on trout that are daintily sipping tricos to cast at 10 pound carp. The reaction from trout guys is absolutely hysterical...

Done that many times! They're casting their little nymphs and dries to trout while I'm scanning the shallows with my 8wt. The looks are priceless.

I'm dying to try carp on the fly. Looking for some productive places around the Pittsburgh area to give it a go if anyone cares to share :) I've seen a few beasts rolling under the bridge at the pine creek dhalo but have never had success. Granted, I've never had the right gear for it when I've tried though. It's always been while walking out after trout fishing so I've had the wrong fly box with me.

stal42, how far are you willing to drive? Don't know of any places near Pittsburgh, but I fly fish for carp a lot on the Shenango with good success. Neshannock has carp also(and nice ones at that) but I've never gotten one to bite there. Really want to try to figure them out this summer. Also know of a stream in New Castle that has some. It's a small creek, but if you're already out by Neshannock it may be worth a shot on the way home/there.

I often drive upwards of 2 hours for fun on the water so I'm not afraid to travel! :) I live in the north hills, so neshannock and slippery rock aren't all that bad of a quick trip (we once got a musky to play on src which was fun!)

They are everywhere, and shouldn't be hard to find in and around Pittsburgh.

For fly fishing (for carp), the only way to go is sight casting to carp that are already feeding. That is, unless you like to bow fish.;-)

I have never traveled anywhere to specifically target carp by any method. But I'm not above targeting them if I happen to see them while I am fishing for other things. Carp are not as cooperative on a fly rod as bass or trout.

Loads of them in the Allegheny, and the cool thing about that is that there is often a smallmouth bass or two just down stream of a feeding carp eating what the carp stirs up. Normally I would be after the smallmouth, but if the carp happens to take it, I am never upset by it.

I also have observed smallmouth just downstream of turtles, but this is a carp thread, not smallmouth.

When I say the Allegheny, I'm talking wide shallow areas where you can wade. I'm sure this applies to most streams as well.

As far as the funny looks go, I only give those when someone asks to keep a carp that I just caught, but I do that with steelhead as well.;-)

Back